1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss Vee plow on 1/2 truck

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Grotonems5, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Grotonems5

Grotonems5 Member
    from Vermont

SO I just bought an 09 leftover sierra extra cab 6' boxussmileyflag. I want a V plow. Boss advertises their 7'6" trip edge plow at a weight of 772lbs. This is the plow they recommend for my truck. They advertise the 8'2" Power V XT at a weight of 785lbs. 13 lbs difference (truck side mounts not included in weight) But it is UNHEARD OF to put these plows on a half ton truck. Not to mention the dealer WON'T sell me one for this truck. I would have to show up in a 3/4 ton truck to pick it up if I bought it. I have plowed before, and I realize with a V plow in the scoop position you can get a lot of weight up front, but if used wisely keeping in mind you are in a light duty truck, I believe this can be accomplished. This is my opinionxysport. NOW I would like YOUR OPINION on this, especially if you have tried this before and can tell me about something I am seriously overlooking here. I know this thread will probably stir up some trouble, but keep in mind I am asking for your opinion and let's keep it limited to opinions and not bashing please :nod:

2. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

The heaviest plow Boss recommends for your truck is the 7.6' Standard Duty which is 597lb. That's quite a difference from an 770-795lb 8.2ft V.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I would never put a Vee on that truck. The problems run deeper than the sag when you lift the blade. The frame, suspension, brakes, etc. just are not up to par. Even the Boss standard duty at 600# is alot. I would be looking for a Sno Way, Boss Sport Duty, or Western/Fisher HTS/HT for that truck.

4. Runner

Runner Senior Member

It would essentially crush the hubs. The bearing and hubs will never stand up to it. You would be going through them at an alarming rate. Let alone the danger factor involved in this id something gave while going down the road.

5. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

That plow exceeds the front axle weight on most 3/4 ton trucks let alone a 1/2. Just like the others said, even if you upgrade springs, timberens, air bags, etc. The other things that you can't upgrade will wear out very fast. Not recommended! :nono:

6. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I dont have the Boss but we did put a 7 1/2 ft V from Fisher on two different Ford F150 that have a pretty beafy wide frame but like everyone is saying the bearings are only rated for a certain amount of weight. On the 2008 we tryed just putting spacers ontop of the coils and that worked fine, and held it up no problem. On the 2005 I just added Timgrens and that also works, bearing in mind, these plows weight around 820 lbs! Just how much extra wear the bearings are going to be subjected to I cant say yet but I can tell you that with about 700lbs of ballast it will REALLY push some snow no question about that.................... I think to say that it will wear out the suspension faster even though you are holding it up with Timgrens would be a streach and to imply that the brakes are going to wear out at a exagerated rate because you have an 800lb weight vs a 600lb weight is another streach if you think about it. The argument about the bearings being rated for a certain weight is a legit arguement and I will know in the years to come how big a deal the extra weight really was. We put the first one on last year on the 2008 and we did have a good look at it in the spring including the outside bearings and after one season everything looks fine. The 2005 truck just got the plow this season so I can tell you better later on. The truck and plow manufactures are all running scared because of the lawyers ................ everyone in the country ran 600lb plows for the last 35 years and we all thought it was just a normal set up until 7-8 years ago and now it is like all they think a 1/2 ton pickup will handle is a plastic plow???? As far as all the hype about how much harder 200lbs is going to be on a pickup you probably better read some between the lines ............. if you want an 8 1/2ft plow I cant speak for Boss but on a Fisher they claim the mount sticks out a bit futher and that longer arm would be to much leverage to get mixed up with. But on the 90" Plow; I think the bottom line is most guys are going to tell you that is a big deal and it probably really isnt.............. And I have seen two or three guys on this site post their 1/2 tons with the Boss V plow on them and they all love em . Is this better than getting a proper 3/4ton truck and all that; well probably not. And if you are going to be plowing a 100 driveways I wouldnt recomend a half ton and a V period. [Then again I would probably want a TON truck and a 9 1/2ft V] but if you are just doing normal plowing ;say a dozen or so like most guys do with 1/2 ton trucks, the fact that these plows weigh a few hundred pounds more than the convential straight blades, is certainly not as much hype as some are suggesting, I know cause I got one! For what ever its worth, I have a buddy that had an old 94 Chevy 1/2 ton and he used to work at the local waferboard mill. He was moonlighting the "second grades" out of there and hauling home 45 miles of rough road, all the time, and his standard load was <<40 sheets>> and they weight <<50 lbs>> a sheet so thats a TON on a 1/2 ton pickup; Now it is not rated for that, and even though it was a HD 1/2 ton; he was WAY outta specs on the rear axle and the bearings!! And I am not advocating this; but, the fact that he hauled literally HUNDREDS of loads like that, with that truck on passenger rated tires; for about 10 years; till they closed the mill, So again the same guy that would say an 800 lb plow will trash your front end in a season or two; are going to say that hauling 40 sheets of chipboard would certainly trash the rear end of his pickup in short order ?????? Well he sold the truck a few years ago and it had the same bearings in it as the day he bought it .................................. go figure???:salute:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  7. DEN54650

DEN54650 Junior Member
    from 54650

I HAVE HAD SEVERAL BOSS "V" PLOWS THAT I HAD ON '94 - '96 3/4 & 1 TON DODGE AND CHEVY TRUCKS, AND HAD ALOT OF FRONT END AND TRANNY PROBLEMS. I STARTED WITH THE 8.2', THEN REALIZING IT WAS ONLY ABOUT 100 # MORE WEIGHT FOR A 9.2', I WENT WITH THE 9.2's.
    I DID ALL HEAVY COMMERCIAL PLOWING WITH THESE TRUCKS AND THEY WERE DRIVEN BY HIRED HELP MOST OF THE TIME, SO YOU HAVE TO TAKE THAT INTO CONSIDERATION ALSO.
    I KNOW WHEN YOU HAVE THEM IN THE SCOOP POSITION YOU ARE PUSHING A VERY LARGE AND HEAVY LOAD WITH THESE BLADES. SUT THEN ON THE OTHER HAND, AS FAR AS SPRINGS AND THE WEIGHT ON THE FRONT END, THE BLADES ARE NOT REALLY ON THE TRUCK FOR THAT LONG OF TIME.

8. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

Do it! Do it! Do it!

9. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

I think that is the main point in all of this. Anything is possible, heck put wings on the plow too. Just understand that the truck isn't designed for it and you will at least need to provide some sort of "help" through timbrens, bigger springs, etc. so that a nice bump on the road doesn't give you a ride. Good luck.

10. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

The fella that sells Boss plows in this area is running a 8'2 poly V XT on his new Ram 1500.

He was running a Boss 8.2 steel V on his early 2000's Chevy 1500, had no problems that i am aware of, but he is doing mainly residentials I think.

11. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Whats the real issue with this??

The miles driven with the plow on the truck; and how far are you going to be moving the truck in a season ............. Remember when you are plowing the plow is on the ground, and the weight of the plow is not a factor, on the suspension or the brakes or anything else.
    Anyone that has used a V plow knows they certainly push easyer than a straight blade, and it takes less strain on everything, the frame, the engine, and the tranny to push in the V position . Scoop is another story, but the main concern is the weight as you travel with the plow hanging over the front,end . Of course the wear will be greater as you add any weight, but for the average person, driving a few thousand miles a winter, at most plowing his Uncles driveway; at what rate of excellerated wear would the bearings recieve ??? Or the hubs?? because of the extra 200 lbs?? and could you even measure it??? Tranny problems are excluded here as that is always a heat issue; commonly solved with a $50 trans temp gauge and when it gets up to 210F either knock it off or get out the $2500 for a rebuild its that simple. And really couldnt be tied back to the plow unless you were putting excessive loads against it; and that would be an operator problem not a plow problem ......... I think if a person thinks it thru and does the math on this the fact is an 800 lb plow is heavyer than a 600 lb plow no question about it, but will that ruin your truck as fast as some would imply??? There are too many factors to consider to make a judgement without trying it for a while ......... stand by for future reports>
    And thats the rest of the story.;)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  12. TJ Fed

TJ Fed Member
    from Indiana

My plow is a 7.6 superduty Boss my dealer told me that if your not gonna be willing to do an suspension work to only go with a standard duty blade but if your willing to spend a little bit off money and get some upgrades you can run a much heavier blade. Ive got mine on a 2000 Silverado 1500 Z71 and it handles the weight great

13. TJ Fed

TJ Fed Member
    from Indiana

That would be a great choice IMO

14. MassPlow

MassPlow Junior Member

I have 474 lbs up front on my 2003 k1500 5.3 With this said, the truck handles with absolutely not problem. I would not put more than 550-600 lbs up front though unless you have a large amount of money to replace the wheel bearings on a weekly basis @ $280 a piece!! (not to mention labor if your not a do-it-yourselfer)

Stay safe, this is a nice truck, no need to turn it into a clunker. I have a Fisher HT on mine and it has already paid itself off...if you want a V plow, get a 2500 HD, otherwise you may be digging a deep hole here my friend...

15. Blazerboy

Blazerboy Junior Member

I run a 500 lbs snoway straight on my 86 s10 with no issues as of yet with three years with that plow and two years with a lighter smaller one. I coudn't imagine a 500 lbs plow on a full size being a issue. In my area there a few guys that run the boss Vs on ther short bed reg cab half tons with no issues either.

16. smokin4by

smokin4by Member
    from indiana

alot of landscape trucks are running around here as xl f150's with 7'6" boss vee's and doing fine. keep in mind you will need ballast in the bed, and don't complain if you have a few more repairs by working the truck alittle harder. over all, if the dealer and manufacturer says OK on a 7'6" vee then go for it. if they tell you not to then take their advise. they have seen many "plowmen" come and go. most of the time they won't tell bigger is better, if bigger meens an un happy customer.

if your going to work/ play hard...then don't complain about higher or more freqent repair cost.

17. Elite_Maint

Elite_Maint Senior Member

I have a 7'6 Western Pro on my 2003 Dodge Ram 1500.. it's had that plow on since 2003.. no problems...

18. DEN54650

DEN54650 Junior Member
    from 54650

ONE MORE THING ON BOSS "V"'s and TWO FOR SALE

I JUST WANTED TO ADD, ALTHOUGH I HAD PLENTY OF REPAIR BILLS WITH THE TRUCKS I HAD THE "V" BLADES ON, I STILL THOUGHT THEY WERE WORTH IT. THE NEWER "CALIF. STYLE" PARKING LOTS WITH ALL THE REQUIRED FANCY ISLANDS, CURBING, AND TREES MAKE IT HARD TO FIND A PLACE TO PUT THE SNOW, WHERE AS WITH A "V" YOU CAN SCOOP AND PLACE IT ANYWHERE MUCH EASIER THAN WITH A STRAIGHT BLADE.
    I GOT RID OF THE NEWER TRUCKS AT A MAJOR LOSS AND STARTED PUTTING THE BLADES ON OLDER 1.5 / 2 TON TRUCKS AND NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH TRANNIES OR OTHER MECHANICAL PROBLEMS, AND THE TRUCKS WERE AROUND 5K VICE 25+K.

BUY THE WAY, BEING I AM OUT OF THE PLOWING BUSINESS NOW DUE TO HEALTH REASONS, I HAVE A COUPLE OF TRUCKS AND PLOWS FOR SALE:
    1986 DODGE RAMCHARGER WITH 7.5 MYERS (WORST PLOWS, BUT O.K. FOR DRIVEWAYS), AND 1989 DODGE 150 WITH OLDER STYLE BOSS 8.2 FOOT "V" PLOW WITH MOTOR AND PUMP UNDER THE HOOD.

ALSO, 7.5 BOSS "V" PLOW WITH RT II MOUNT FOR EITHER '94 - '01 OR '87 - '91
    FORD F-250 or F-350. THIS SET-UP HAS ONLY BEEN USED A COUPLE OF TIMES.
    WISCONSIN DEN54650@CHARTER.NET FOR FURTHER INFO.

JUST ONE MORE THING, IF I WERE STILL PLOWING COMMERCIAL ACCOUNTS, I WOULD BE INTERESTED IN TRYING A 8-10 FOOT BLIZZARD POWER PLOW, BUT CHECKING THE WEIGHT ON THOSE BLADES, THEY ARE 950 POUNDS, WHICH IS CONSIDERABLE MORE THAN THEY BOSS 9.2 "V". I HAVE NOT HAD A CHANCE TO TALK WITH ANYONE THAT OWNS ONE, BUT I AM CURIOUS HOW THE TRUCKS HOLD-UP WITH THEM, AS I SEE THEM ON A LOT OF 3/4 TONS.
    SORRY FOR THE LONG POST, PUT I AM RETIRED !

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

NO NEED TO YELL HERE. You're giving us all headaches. We can read your posts just fine.

20. DEN54650

DEN54650 Junior Member
    from 54650

Sorry, i don't mean to "yell", however, fingers don't work quite so well after my stroke. It is much easier using all caps.