1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss vbx spreader reviews

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by GrowingSeasons, Feb 23, 2016.

1. GrowingSeasons

GrowingSeasons Junior Member

looking into purchasing a few new boss vbx 8000 and 9000 auger spreaders id like to hear from anyone who is running them now to see how you like them and if this is a good spreader? i run mostly a hydraulic under tailgates but the few pickups we have now have gas v-box's and I'm tired of there problems
  2. JustJeff

JustJeff PlowSite.com Addict

They're excellent spreaders. I don't personally own one, but the company that I sub for has A LOT of them. Probably 75 or more. They spread our salt no matter how wet that sh** is.
  3. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Currently running an 8000 auger, this is my second season with it, it does a pretty good job at spreading, the controller is fairly easy to use and changing settings is easy as well.
  4. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I got a 8000 pintle chain unit this fall. I will eventually get around to writing a more in depth review, but so far it has been great. I had a 2yd ss gas spreader last year that I had gotten used, and it was a pain. I think the price for the boss is very good considering what you get, and is right in line with other units. I paid 5300+tax, and the polycasters were 5600, steel casters were 5200, and a gas vbox was 48 I think. However the boss has a lot of extra features standard, and I think the controller is superior.
    I spread sand salt mix and haven't had any issues. Great spread pattern. I have had some bridging but I get loaded the day before the storm and sand after, so it is my fault, and I do not have the vibrators. I think they should include the vibrator partially because of the shape of the spreader. There are a lot of little shelves (I don't know how else to describe it), that the sand just sits on.
    It says you can spread up to 40 ft, but with sand I think 20 is more like it. Bulk salt on a open lot maybe a few pieces will bounce to 40 ft I don't know.
    One of my favorite features is how easy the spinner is to remove. I tow frequently and it is a huge help being able to remove it, and it is a one man job.
    I had to build a frame for it with 4x4s because without it in a srw truck the spinner was about 6 inches off the ground when I was loaded.
    The controller is great and very easy to use. I wish it had an on off switch, it shuts off automatically after 20 minutes, but I just would like to be able to turn it on when I want to.
    I don't like the lid sensor, but it hasn't been a problem.
    I installed mine because the dealer wanted 350 bucks to do it, and thought it was pretty easy to do.
    Sorry for the long post, but I would definitely recommend it and haven't had any problems whatsoever.
  5. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Oh yeah sorry one more thing that is definitely worth mentioning since you are currently using gas boxes. Being able to adjust the spinner speed is huge. I use so much less material than last year, because I am not wasting as much. If I see sand on the snow banks I turn it down, and that keeps all the material on the road. It sounds small, but it really adds up. Last year I would blow through 2 yards after 3 or 4 roads. This year I can do those roads with just over 1 yard and still have great coverage. That's money in my pocket
  6. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

I love the one I've got in my truck, bought it about this time last year and it's had about 150 tons through it so far with zero issues. Bought 5 last fall and they've all got about 50 tons each through them also with no issues.

That said, if you're used to the power and spreading ability of gas and hydraulics, you will not be happy with electric.
  7. GrowingSeasons

GrowingSeasons Junior Member

thanks a lot for feed back guys i really appreciate it! i would be buying 5 of them so i want to be sure its a good unit before i do it. they have a lot of standard features which is nice but its always best to hear it from the guys who are using them and i refuse to buy a buyers spreader.