1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss VBX Review

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by rjets00, Feb 13, 2014.

1. rjets00

rjets00 Member

Purchased a new VBX spreader and figured I would put up a quick review. It has a pintle chain.

I decided to install with snow predicted the same day. Install went pretty easy instructions were detailed as they always are from Boss. Quick test run and load it up with salt.

I fired it up and instantly had trouble with the feed chain motor overheating. After about 15 mins she took off like a champ. It has ran flawlessly since.

Cuts salt usage in half easy over a standard gas v-box.
    Work lights are simply awesome!
    Seems Sturdy
    VBX leaves lots of room in the front of the spreader for push spreader and other gear.
    Very consistent spread pattern.

Lifting points are awkward and hard to get straps in.
    Button things that hold the motor cover on are pretty crappy.
    Clean out tray will not come out without removing motor cover OR modification of the motor cover.
    A adjustable feed gate would have been nice, it's really going to suck when I have a jam that will not self clear.
    Surface rust is starting to form on conveyor housing after 2 events.

I'm pretty happy with the addition, I think us as contractors together with boss will make this a solid unit it just might take a couple years of fine tuning things. Similar to the tornado. I love boss equipment. I will post pics soon. I hope you all enjoy.
  2. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I have a gantry crane and electric hoist for this reason. I run a chain from front to rear around tie down hook. Hook up chain off set from middle no problem.
    Tray does come out just remove or swing back cover takes 15 seconds
    Read your directions it has an adjustable feed gate.
    Anything that steel that salt touchs will get surface rust.
  3. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

They need to get rid of that top grate sensor
  4. rjets00

rjets00 Member

When I swing the chute over and slide the tray back it hits the big plastic motor cover. I will need to make some small notches in it to let the tray come on out. No big deal just something that should have been caught in quality control.

I have read the manual a few times. The gate can be turned up for storage or down for use. The gate is a bolted connection thus not adjustable.

I have a 10 year old air flow stainless with out surface rust. Just sucks for a 5k dollar spreader.
  5. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

YES.. jammed us up for a whole end of a storm when we had no idea why it wouldn't start :/ salt was jammed in side of it even after it was opened and closed a few times in frustration.
  6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

Where are you getting surface rust on the bottom stainless tray parts? i don't think ours have that yet but i also don't know anyone who has ANY spreader stainless made of aircraft grade or not.. it has some surface tarnish/rust on it after any salt use.
  7. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

hows the ground clearance on these untis on say a F350? also they seem to stick out the back like 2 FT?