1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

BOSS VBX 8000 Reviews Best v box spreader?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by BRL1, Nov 20, 2015.

1. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Anyone have a review on these spreaders? I have a snow ex sp7550 and I am returning it because I hate it and its slow as f.
    Looking for a spreader that I can put a ton of material down quickly and get my jobs done. Im solo and have a lot of big properties I have to service.

JUST let me know what v box spreader you would get and why. It has to be at least a 2.0yard and will be in a 2002 Chevy 2500 reg cab long box with timbren load supports in front and air bags in back with a BOSS vxt on front.

Thank ya!

2. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

We have two of them. Very happy with them. These are the auger style feed. We also have a couple of Swensons. One electric, and one hydraulic. They are going up for sale soon. Fine pieces of equipment. We simply like the Boss units better. I don't see them holding 2 tons. Ton and a half heaping maybe.

We run one ton to 550's. All have Timbrens front and rear. I don't want to burst your bubble or stir the pot. I feel obligated for safety reasons to question 2 tons of salt and vee plow on the front of a 2500 with independent suspension up front. Timbrens or not, that is a lot of weight to stop and also asking a lot of the truck.

3. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Thank you for your advice. I'm not sure how much my material is per yard but my dealer said my truck is more than capable of running a 2.0 yard box

4. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Just loading the box full my truck doesn't even squat with a 1.5 yard box. There is no difference between a 2500 and a 3500 srw I have overloads and airbags now.

I wish that gm made a 4500 or 5500 like ford.

5. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

The trucks are no doubt capable of holding the 2 tons, I know my 2015 could handle 2 tons but the real issue is there is no legal way to put 2 tons in my truck. You can put all the springs and air bags you want to protect the truck but it will still be considered over weight. I'm not messing with the dot especially being that I've heard they've been in my area checking harder

6. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Ohh yea I got what you guys are sayin now.

7. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

The boss V box holds more weight closer to the cab "before you start unloading", there is no v facing rearward like a salt dogg unit, where those models sit a little taller, for their 2 yard model, on a short bed ford F250, a 1.5 yard salt dog puts as much weight "squat" on the rear axle as the more evenly distributed 2 yard vbx8000, we have many of both.... the 2 yard boss loaded up won't squat a newer f350 srw much at all. a dually you could probalby run the 3 yard model they just came out with.

8. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

You seem to have experience with these units and some others. For my application I will need to salt drive lanes with chipped granite and sand quickly and evenly. All my accounts are zero tolerance appartments or stores. Additionally I will need to be totally a ale to adjust flow for the amount of material I put where. My snow ex sp7550 doesn't cut it and is getting returned today. It has a auger. I'm thinking of going with Pintle chain? Help me out with this lol

9. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

So what is your complaint with the snow ex, doesn't unload fast enough material rate? use the chain drives to move more faster.. the vbx moves about the same as our 4 yard salt dog and almost as much as our 4.5 yard swenson mdv electric drives. the spinner motor i think is 1/2hp and about the most you'll ever use for a spinner, it'll throw stuff darn far, but unit sits lower on an f350 fully loaded than say the salt dogg units do, so it appears its not going was wide but it is... we can drive down center lane of parking lot and hit cars on both sides, throwing salt under them easily.. 30-40' wide?

10. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Yes that is the complaint with the snow ex. It's terrible I cant drive over 2mph and get a constant good coverage. I am a solo operation and need to pump through my jobs. Fast and efficient of course leaving the best work on site. That's why I just dropped the snow ex off at the dealer for a nice paper weight. Told them get me a vbx 8000 pintle chain asap.

11. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Our VBX8000s throw salt far. I have to reduce the speed on the spinner in tight lanes or it sounds like you are pelting the crap out of vehicles. Last thing I want is to repair a row of cars with "salt chips" similar to stone chips.

We run the auger style. They initially offered chain and auger. In talking to some larger distributors AND the BOSS R&D team at the big truck show last year, they said the auger style was more desirable. The Boss guys didn't bad mouth the chain feed unit, but pointed us towards auger. The distributor we went thru said "We won't carry the chain driven units. What does that tell you?" That said, this was 2 years ago and Boss could have changed any issues they may have had with chain driven units. I truly do not know.

12. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Does your auger feed the material constantly ? Or is the feed intermittent ? The snow ex had a 3-5 second delay in feed and It was driving me crazy.

13. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

Are they wanting to steer you away from drag chains because of maintaining them? Or is there another reason? I've heard drag chains will give me more freedom on the amount of material and flow I want.

14. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Whats the issues with drag chains? Im going on 9.5 years with our DownEaster, original chain and electric motors, bearings...just have to wash them once in a while, grease the bearings every so often and spray the chain with FluidFilm a few times a season.

15. BRL1

BRL1 Senior Member
    from Wyoming

That's what I have heard as well. People who have them and keep them maintained say they are the best.

16. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

The only thing I don't like about a drag chain is the mess they leave, at least on mine. I have about 15lbs of salt at the front end at the end of the night, if that were in a regular p/u truck bed could be a pain to keep clean. Ours is on a flatbed so it's no big deal. But yeah, no issues other than taking a couple links out of it a couple weeks ago...took about 15 minutes.

17. rjets00

rjets00 Member

I have had a vbx chain drive for 2 years now and love it. Had to do the gear oil change out but other than that it has been great.

18. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Love my 2 bosses VBX
    My Swenson was more money and I think will out live the bosses.

19. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Seems like there is a delay when you first turn it on, but most every spreader I have owned is this way. The VBX has dual vibrators and I would say they help reduce any delays in feeding. When the hopper is nearly empty, the dual vibrators let you know. Feels like a full body massage. Shakes the whole truck.

Really not sure why they suggested the auger style. Did they have issues with chain when they first came out? I don't know. Just know I am happy with what I got. Our chain fed Swensons are washed after each use and hit with lube. Still get to be a pain with kinks and such after sitting all summer. I don't miss this part at all. I also don't miss the mess of salt they leave at the front of the bed of the truck. That is a pain to clean out without removing the spreader after each event.

20. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

All mine are chains... No vibraters.. Work great