1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PINEISLAND1, Nov 20, 2000.

1. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

Hey Digger, or anyone else who runs Boss v's-

How often do you replace those rubber "horses hooves" that ride between your two cutting edges on the center post?

Where is a good place to buy them and how cheap can you get them?

Thanks,

2. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

Interesting you bring that up; we were just talking about them this morning. The shoe on mine keeps coming off because the bolts keep shearing off. I guess we're going to try some seal tight on them and see how it works. Digger told me that they welded some pieces or wings on there to deflect the snow w/ the plow. He can tell you more about them. Anyway, I think that center piece of about $60 a piece, so keeping a few around isn't terribly cheap. As far as how long they last, haven't kept on on long enough to find out.

3. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Ours don't have those pices we use a anti stripping kit so I can't help you on this one.You might see if Plow Part warehouse has them.Also check with dino see if the make them in urethane.

4. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

What is an anti stipping kit?

5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

What are we talking about here guys? I have an 8'2" Boss and all I have in between is the center cast iron round skid shoe. Has there been an improvement? As there is always a 4" strip of snow about 2" high left behind from the space in between the cutting edges.

6. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Yeah on the new blades there are a round hoof shaped piece of plastic to catch the strips,but on the older blades there is a kit that welds on the back of the cutting edges,the kit is to expensive but once you have it you can make your own pieces for future use.

7. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

Here's a cheaper way to solve the strip problem. I bought some 4 inch baler belt. Drilled 2 holes in each cutting edge. Then bolted a strip of belt on the front and back of cutting edge. You have to measure the front piece while the plow is in the cup pos. and the back piece in the v'd pos. I t works good. I don't have any snow strips left behind when plowing forward or backdragging. It was a cheap fix. I think I spent about $6.00 on the belting and It has lasted quite a while. Hopefully the wife will let me buy a new Boss next year with the center disk, but for now this works.

8. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

Question on the baler belt;
    Is it like conveyor belt rubber? How thick is it, & does it resemble anything we would know (what it looks like)?
    Lastly, where can you get such a critter as baler belt?
    I have the same problem with my older Boss, & was going to buy the cow hoof, either poly or steel......
    But if this works good, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

9. Yardworks

Yardworks Senior Member

Baler belt is about 1/4 " thick. It is used on round hay balers. It is very similer to a conveyor belt. I purchased mine at Fleet Farm. I'm sure you could find it at any farm implement dealer. I doubled up the pieces front and back. I originally wanted to get one of the hooves like the newer style, but the dealer said you can't put them on the old style. Something about the design, not enough clearance,space between the cutting edges .

10. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Alot of places have a belting and rubber dist. If you look in the yellow pages or ask a tire dealer,one of ours is a Goodyear belting store.

11. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I have the older 1994 RT II Boss and they say I need a PT# MSC01591 it is a Snow Catcher Kit. What is it and does anybody currently have one. They say it is two pieces of metal and welds to the back of the cutting edges. It lists for $18.25 so it cant be made of much. Anyone have any pictures of one?

12. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

No pictures, but I have them installed on our older Boss' and they work decent.

13. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Buy one set then make more.

14. site

site Member

I see a lot of talk about boss plows on this site. Do they do anything better than other plows? Are they really that good? I 'm not tring to be a wiseguy I really want to know. How much are they? Can you get parts? Where I am (New Hampshire seacoast) EVERYONE Runs Fisher. I do too and my only complaint is price. They are pretty simple compared to any average tractor implement. You'd think they're cranking them out by the thousands why do they need to charge $3000-4000?