1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss v-xt question.

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Ramitt, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

How do you guys like yours? Been looking to put a plow on my truck and so far not much luck unless I go new. Meyer and western are 5,500 installed for 8 foot straight. Saw an ad last night for a dealer that is 45min away that said boss V xt installed for 5,700... Now I dont need a V blade but to me if I can get one for 200.00 more would I be crazy not to?? Meyer and western V's start at 7k.. Im gonna be doing a few driveways,laneways and our 1/2 mile lane to camp. Tho I feel that if I had a plow I would take on a little more work not doing anything bigger than maybe a 1/2 acre parking lot. At least for this year anyway.

How does boss hold up? Never really used one. My old job we had meyer and western straights and a few mvp's that take a good beating.

2. Fjtort2

Fjtort2 Member

We've used Boss and Western for years. We like Boss more. They seem to cut/scrap snow better. Used an 8' Pro Plus Straight Western for 6 years. Just went BOSS DXT 8'2 Similar to V-XT but with dual trip edges. I can't go back to Straight. The DXT does everything well and cuts TIME! I'd go Boss VXT no doubt!

3. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

3 things:

Dealer support. Do you have a dealer that's closer if something happens? Are any open during the storm, no matter what time?

Pricing. Have you actually gotten hard numbers on each blade? I find it hard to believe that Meyer/Western are that much higher. Unless your local dealers are just a higher margin.

Self install. If you can install it yourself (isn't hard to do) you should be able to get a DXT for that and have it shipped to you. VXT vs DXT, no comparison. I'll be surprised if the VXT isn't phased out like the flat tops were in the next couple seasons. If dealer support is equal, and none of them are open during a storm, this is probably the route I would go in, for any brand.

4. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

I called the boss dealer that had the ad. Very nice guy that answered all my questions. 6k even for the dxt if I installed it myself. The 5,700 was for the 7'6 plow. He said he will knock off 300 on which ever one I install myself. He is the second closer dealer. Closest one to me is 8-10mi away. The closer boss dealer wanted 5,400 for a straight boss installed. As far as meyer and western prices. Those are all verified by my local dealers. The boss dealer has extended hours during winter/storm events

5. John_DeereGreen

That's a decent deal based on the prices you're getting for other brands. If the Boss dealer has extended hours I'd probably buy from him, but do yourself a favor before you commit and call Jim at ESI Trucks, he's a site sponsor. He might be able to get you a little better deal from your local dealer.

Or, if you're willing to wait until spring, I'll be selling my 8'2" DXT with Boss wings, just the plow side for 5K. Spend less than a grand on your truck side/controller and you're getting the same setup he's selling for 6K, except wings to boot.

6. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Why are you selling it?
    Just wondering why

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Find B&B in your town ,can't get any better.

8. John_DeereGreen

I buy a new blade every year for my truck. I'd rather spend a little out of pocket and have it under warranty, just in case. Plus, I have a great relationship with my dealer.

I'll probably go to a 9'2" with wings for next season.

9. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

Oh ok cool

10. Ty27

Ty27 Senior Member

We like our V-XT's. I like how the plows are interchangeable between trucks. The controller is real nice fitting in your hand. I also like how you don't have to press different buttons to angle the wings to vee scoop left or right. It's a definite difference between a straight blade and a v plow. The hook up is real quick going on to the trucks, and the cutting edges scrape the snow real well.

11. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

Ill have to call jim. Looking at the prices online he is about 500-700.00 cheaper!!! Best part he is only 50min from my dads house. Thanks for the tip!! Ill have to give him a call tomorrow. Best case ill be picking up a plow from him this weekend!

12. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

Saving 500-700. bucks is great. I like my Vxt a lot. BOSS has been good for me, with good dealer support too.

I haven't tried a DXT yet.

13. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Cheapest price isn't always such a deal. Who are you going to have it serviced by? If you didn't buy a plow from the person you're asking to repair it, you may have to wait while they service their regular customers. I learned this lesson the hard way. Cheapest isn't always best price.

14. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

Considering I'd be a one time person I dont think it would matter as there are lots of snow plow company's who plow commercially who would prob be top priority anyway...

15. John_DeereGreen

If you keep an emergency parts kit with you, that'll get you through most issues. If its worse than what that kit can fix, you or a dealer aren't going to fix it quickly anyway. It's just nice to have access to parts after hours if you need them.

16. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

I've been taught over the years to keep everything you might need just in case! I think boss emergency kit is like 150.00 so thats cheap insurance.

17. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

Well I bit the bullet. Got an 8'2 poly dxt. Gotta pick it up Friday!

18. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Who did you purchase from? Local dealer or Jim @ ESI

19. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

Local dealer had demo model and gave me a deal on it. He said it maybe has 50 operations on it

20. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Hope they washed the blood off first.