1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V XT plowing a gravel driveway

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by hemipower5.7, Nov 16, 2009.

1. hemipower5.7

hemipower5.7 Member

how does a V XT handle a gravel driveway, like encountering an obsticle?

2. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Make sure you have your seat belt on:waving:

3. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

like dog ****

4. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

Gravel no problem, Obstickle huge problem.

5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What type of gravel? If it's pea gravel it will suck all year. If it's other kinds once it freezes it will plow ok,unless the road is bumpy .

6. hemipower5.7

hemipower5.7 Member

so best bet is a fisher Xtreme V?

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

No.Boss!!!

8. Deco

Deco Senior Member

Frozen gravel :nod:
    Unfrozen gravel:eek:

9. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

yes fisher!!

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Let the plow go down then once its on the ground give it a click or two up and you'll be fine. My private drive is gravel. I plow mine with my vee. I just let the plow down the give it a click up so your not pushing gravel the first few times until the base is setup' then I can set it on the ground and leave it.

11. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Every plow sucks when ecountering an obstacle. Asking which plow is better here is like asking which truck is better, Ford or Chevy.

12. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

This is the answer (above). It's just fine until you have to plow a spring snow after the frost is gone... then it's not so much fun.

13. That's what the trip is for.

Oh Wait, The Boss doesn't trip.:confused:

You could always chain it up.

Nope, Scratch that, Can't do that on a Boss either. ;)

Get a Western / Fisher

Use a Pipe Edge until the ground is frozen.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  14. hemipower5.7

hemipower5.7 Member

I like the boss alot. the fisher has its advantages, but then so does the boss i mostly am going to be plowing blacktop but have a large gravel parking lot and a long gravel driveway, my dealers are another reason i have bought trailers from the dealership that sells boss, but i am not really fond of the fisher dealer. i guess it just comes down to the trip if boss v's had a trip edge i would def. but boss

15. 09dieselguy

09dieselguy Senior Member

the boss is the only plow on the market. who wants to have a 800 pound plow slamming up and down on the front of their truck with every bump they hit. thats alot of wear and tear.

16. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Uhhh....What?

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Plowing gravel before it has frozen is not fun regardless of plow brand. While the trip edge on the Fisher is good, it's not perfect. I have bent more than one trip edge on mine. To me, the numerous advantages of the Boss vs the Fisher far outweigh the absence of the trip edge. You have only one gravel lot in your entire route. Take it easy, and you'll be fine.

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

this is a big factor. You WILL be in to see him if you buy the XV.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You should do some research before you continue to post incorrect information and REALLY put your foot in your month.

20. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We've had good luck with Boss V's and we plow around 1.5 acres of gravel every storm with them.