1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V-XT 8'2" not latching in

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by rddiehl, Nov 21, 2010.

1. rddiehl

rddiehl Junior Member

Got everthing hooked up on my 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD but I cannot get my plow to latch in. My mount may be a 1/4" to 1/2" high do you think that could be the problem? It about 15 3/4" to the center of the hole. It coming up but the pins are not latching into the holes. Help please.

2. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

Use a floor jack and place it directly behind the plow. The plow frame should have a center point there and raise it up a touch while pushing the mount switch. That should be all you need. Boss plows are picky when not on perfect level ground

3. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

is the controller in float?

4. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Makes sure the controller is in float and that you are on perfectly level ground.

5. rddiehl

rddiehl Junior Member

Yep got it in float. It going up just won't latch in.

6. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

Did you try using a Jack?

7. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Can't you just push on the light bar a little bit and get it to click in that way?

8. rddiehl

rddiehl Junior Member

Yep tried using a jack. Didn't try pushing on light bar yet. It must me too high or I'm doing something wrong.

9. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

Ok I know this is a stupid question but I have to ask since I cant see what your doing lol but you did switch the levers to on for the pins right?

10. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Your torsion springs aren't broke and not allowing the pins to slide through are they?

11. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

If your not on level ground and theres play in the driveline, when you drive into the plow and throw the truck in park, the truck might move backwards an inch or two which will mess everything up and not allow the bottom hooks of the mount to grab the fixed bottome pins on the plow.

12. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

or like said above, the top brackets arent triggering the springs to move cause the spring is clamed and the pin is sticking out too far, if that makes sence, hard to explain

13. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

My new 9.2 VXT has only been hooked up twice since new and I destroyed the torsion spring on the D side. Try lifting the light tower up and once you're close to where the pins should latch flip the latch springs and bump the tower up until it tries picking the truck up.

14. rddiehl

rddiehl Junior Member

got it, I lowered the mount one notch and it hooked right up and came right off. this plow looks great on my red truck. thanks everyone for all your help. hookup took me and my brother about 8 hours.

15. pongow26

pongow26 Senior Member

Glad to hear ya go it all worked out how bout a pic so we can check it out

16. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

How can you tell if a torsion spring is destroyed or not?

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it doesn't look like a squashed pretzel it's fine.

18. Pinky Demon

from Ohio

Just wondering. Never heard of anyone destroying one.

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It happens from time to time but it's not what you'd call common. Still not a bad idea to keep one or two spares on hand just in case though. Not that they will stop you from attaching, just makes it a little less convenient.

20. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

This is probably going to sound like a complete newby question but I am having the opposite problem with my plow.
    What happens is i drive into the plow like you are supposed to, then plug in the wiring, and then flip the levers, and then use the switch to lift the light tower up into place.. But what is happening is that as soon as i move the levers, the pins slide through. So what i have to do is leave the levers in the off position, lift the light tower up with the switch, and then while its up i have to hold the switch on with one hand and then reach down with my other hand and turn the levers to the on position and it goes right through. is this right or is something broken?