1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V won't move sometimes, but all other functions work

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by musclecarboy, Feb 12, 2012.

1. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

Hi Everyone.

My dad was plowing in my 02 and the plow would work randomly. All connections are clean and have electric grease, solenoid clicks when you function the plow but sometime the motor doesn't go. I tried it myself and it moved fine then again, randomly stopped. If you push a wing forward and it quits, it will still open whatever valve to allow the plow to retract or lower. When it works, it works 100% as normal. Is it something as simple as a loose wire somewhere?
  2. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

sounds like it is worth a try putting a new solenoid on
  3. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Sounds like a ground
  4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Check the wires coming from your control, at the control. I once had a frayed wire coming out of the control do something similar. Mines mounted to the door, so it would work with the door open but not closed. Funny when I look back but it took me forever to track down cause I would walk to the front harness play with it and it worked...get in close the door.. no work and repeat. Yeah do that for about an hour and see how funny you find it at the time.
  5. musclecarboy

musclecarboy 2000 Club Member

It started happening to my dad about 2/3 way thru the last property on the route and I was already in bed so that's pretty much what he did LOL. Thanksfor the tip. It must be a fuggen wire loose somewhere
  6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Take a little screw driver and open the connectors on the positive and ground wire plug. That's exactly what it had done before and my other Boss plows have done.

The solenoids will still work as they get power through the square plug. Also tell your dad when it stops working to put the switch in float and get outside and play with the power plug and move the smart hitch switch. If it starts to work when your moving the plug around that's your problem. You could need a new plug. Also if that's not your problem check the power at the motor and the battery.
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012