1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V... wobbles while driving

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by alternative, Dec 3, 2005.

1. alternative

alternative PlowSite.com Addict

the v wobbles from the center while driving. What is wore?? is this serious?
    Thsnk

2. go plow

go plow Senior Member

its normal for a plow to move while going down the street , but what i would do is, lift you plow off the ground ,make sure you keep your feet away from the blade, you should know that already!! and try to move that plow you should be able to notice slop in your plow ,some is normal, but if you can move it alot i would start by taking it apart one pin at a time and replace them as needed, i do this every year, also now would be a great time to put alittle grease on the pins.......

3. alternative

How do i replace the pins.?? thanks i will check for slp in plow tonight.

4. go plow

go plow Senior Member

well, the simple way is to see how much it moves, like if you raise your plow, the hold on to one end of it, try to move the plow keeping your eyes on all the plow pins, if they move alot, you need new ones, or, what i would do is take your plow apart one pin at a time as i stated before. most people do this as a pre season inspection

5. alternative

I did notice the center hinge bolt was somewhat loose... ???

6. alternative

Should i put Loctit on the bolt??

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

The wobble is likely from wear to the horizontal pin area that joins the T-Frame to the center section.

When brand new, there is absolutely NO wobble. Everything is tight.

After a season or two, things loosen up a bit. But this is good. Plowing surfaces are NEVER totally flat, and the biggest problem with the Boss V's is that they don't follow contours as good as other plows. As they wear, they get better at this.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Plus, fixing it would likely require T-Frame, Center section, and Horizontal pin replacement. None of which are cheap.

8. alternative

Thanks for the info TLS... apreciated

9. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

It could get this bad

DSCN1589.JPG

DSCN1590.JPG

10. alternative

I dont understand what your pic are of... what part is that???

11. alternative

chtucker????

what are the pics of... is that worn..and what will happen now. ?

12. alternative

Now i dont know what to do about this... it seems pretty loose, and i noticed the center bolt was very loose.

13. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

What center bolt? There is no bolt, its a huge steel pin.

14. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

That is a picture of the center pin sliding out towards the drivers side. The roll pin on the passenger side failed and the center pin shifted. It broke both welded collars off and boogered the a frame. A new center tower, A frame, and pin..... with some modifications was needed. Just make sure you check the pin before every trip, so this doesn't happen to you.

15. alternative

What?

dont really know what pin youre talking about and collar?? need a detail pic. It was tough to see in yours. THANKS>>

16. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Here is a line drawing of the center section for a 7.5, 8.2, 9.2 plow.
    [​IMG]

The pictures that chtucker posted are of the HORIZONTAL hinge pin that connects THIS center section to the T-Frame.

This is a picture of a 10' BOSS V center section....see the difference? This one is 10lbs heavier.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2005
  17. alternative

Thanks TLS

now i can visualize.. but my problem -- i believe is in the center hinge (pin) the left wing wobbles a bit.. right not too bad. Think its the pin (Vertical) is this a pain to replace and is really necessary? Thks

18. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Ohhhh.......you mean theVERTICAL hinge pin......Totally different story.

Yes, the bolt that keeps this pin must be tight and yes, this bolt gets locktite.

So, one wing is tight and the other is WAY loose? Thats odd.

Have you been keeping each hole greased?

Unless you broke a wing hinge mount, I cant see how one side can be noticably looser.

How old is plow?

19. alternative

5 yrs old... and its not REAL bad,, you can notice in cab of truck while driving, that the drivers side wobbles...kinda up and down.

20. alternative

Hey tls...

have you ever had this problem.. and how hard is replacement? bet its $$$