1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V vs. Western MVP?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by boelterhomes, Dec 7, 2004.

1. boelterhomes

boelterhomes Junior Member

Does anyone have an opinion on this? I was sold on the Boss V, but I didn't know the Western had the trip edge, and I like that feature. It also appears that Western locks the blade straight without the option for smartlock cylinders for backdragging with the Boss. The Western also comes standard with the deflector. I like the Boss lighting system better, and I was going to go with poly, but Western doesn't offer that. I'm told that Boss outsells Western about 5 to 1 here, but I believe alot of that may have to do with the salespeople. Western is the biggest plow manufacturer. Oh, I'm also told it will be easier to switch the Boss to a new vehicle when I need to. The price is almost identical, but the boss is around $200 higher with the Smartlock option. So, I'm totally confused. Thanks for your help.
  2. intlco

intlco Senior Member

If I was going the v-plow, I'd go the Boss Poly V, because the poly will hold up much better. We got poly blades that last over 10 years.
    I had the Fisher v, same as western just about, and the trip didn't work good always, and the paint pealed off the blade and rusted under the paint badly.
    Also service sucked.

Boss here also out sells Western.
    Did you talk to Monroe Truck Equip up there? I know they offered me a good price on a Boss V.
  3. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

I went Western... No regrets :salute:
  4. boelterhomes

I did get a quote from Monroe Truck for Boss poly. $4100 plow, $204 smartlock, $525 install = $4818.
  5. boelterhomes

What do you like better about the Western?
  6. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Never had a boss V plow, but I have used the fisher V plow, which is very similar to the Westerns. The major difference that I like about the Wester/Fisher is the trip edge. Most people on here will say the boss full mold board trip is not the best idea for a V-plow. I guess they can be quite bone rattling... I also remember people complaining about a center shoe or something like that would break easily... But like I said I have no personal experience with a Boss V.
  7. Foz

Foz Senior Member

Well, I've been down this road, the Boss Vee plows do not have a trip edge & therefore do not trip when in the scoop or vee position. We had major trouble because of this with 2 10 Ft Boss vee, switched to Western 9 1/2 Ft MVP & won't ever go back. Although I will say a lot depends on your local service, around here Boss is terrible & Western is awesome!
  8. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Also depends on what your plowing.

If your plowing entirely smooth driveways, parking lots, etc., the BOSS V will do just fine.

However, if you plan on plowing high speed in unfamiliar, rough, lots/roads, with raised manhole covers and the like, you really need to know EXACTLY where these are with a BOSS V. Obstructions that don't move are not BOSS V friendly.

I just had the choice to put any plow (except Blizzard) on my new truck. I chose another BOSS V.

I will soon be going with a U-edge on it however.

IMO, the build, speed, and controller are all superior on the BOSS.

ON EDIT: The Smart lock are overrated. I plowed for 10 years on a BOSS without them.
  9. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

I went with The Boss 8 ft 2 power V and could not be happier . I have the smart lock cylinders , they work great . I like the fact you can control both wings independently , cylinder lift (no bounce) , its fast , I have not had a problem with the trip , yet . Well there are my two cent's and my first post . I think either would work fine . Steve
  10. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Western outsells boss here. Seems like that state of illinois's favorite plow is the western. I have been using western plows for 10+ years and I wont buy another plow. I would go with the western. In my opinion i also think the ultra mount is easier to hook up.
  11. boelterhomes

Wow, thanks for all the great information! I am particularly concerned out the trip edge. I plow new home jobsites without finished gravel on it. Sounds like the Western may be better for me.
  12. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

Without doubt trip edge is the way to go on a Vee plow for reliable tripping in any Vee position. The a striaght blade it is a toss up at times. The Boss Vee plow is a sturdy plow for sure but not freindly about tripping on surfaces with obstacles when Vee'ed. I have used trip edge straight blades and they are really sweet about trips in general on less than smooth pavement.
  13. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

I have a Boss V but no experience with the Western MVP. The Boss has two weaknesses IMO; the snow-catcher (center hoof) wearing out too fast and the lack of a trip-edge.

I know people are trying a urethane snow catcher. And you can adjust the trip spring tension if you expect obstacles. Though you should know your accounts well. Never the less, I think all multi-position plows should have a trip-edge.

I haven't seen how the Western MVP connects/disconnects, but I can't imagine any plow being easier or faster than the Boss Smart-Hitch 2. Until I see it, I won’t believe it. Seriously, it takes absolutely NO strenuous effort and less than 30 seconds (that’s if you take your own sweet time).

Boss’ controller is better and from reading other threads here, the hydraulics are about twice as fast and strong as the Western. The lights on Boss plows are the best in the industry.

But not knowing the Western MVP, I don’t know that the Boss is better overall.
  14. Tarkus

Boss is not a bad plow but neither is a Western and since same parent company owns Western and Fisher it was easy to get a trip edge on the Western Vee. Western mounts are not bad either nor is a Fisher as some claim if you take the time to learn them a bit they hook and unhook quickly. If Boss has faster acting hydraulics it is a mixed blessing because more speed take more power and current too for electrical system so you need to try to strike a balance with them. Boss was the first with their Vee plow design which without doubt put them on the map but they have chaged its design little since that time.
  15. Emerald Hydro

Emerald Hydro Junior Member

I have ran both plows . Heres what I have found. The Boss has faster hydros all the way around. The Western V sides are powered both in and out so you don't need a locking cylinder. The Boss V sides are pushed out hydraulically and pulled in with a spring making it faster and is easier on the electrical system. The Boss has a better mounting system and brighter lights. The Western has a better tripping desing and a better center shoe. Around here Boss V plows are the majority. Both plows are well made and do a good job. I ended up buying a Boss poly V and have been happy with it. I have three full seasons using it and it still looks new.
  16. boelterhomes

This is great guys! I really appreciate all of the insight.
  17. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have owned a Boss 9.2 since 1999 and is used on commercial lots. I have busted 3 cutting edges on it because they dont trip very well . Dont like the center hinge on a V plow. I had a Boss 8 ft straight super duty on my other truck. Replaced it with a Blizzard 810. After using all 3 types of blades my next plow will be another Blizzard.
  18. caz1

caz1 Member

about 90% of the plows over here are boss plows but then again there made only an hour away in the up of michigan but then again blizzard is made an hour and a half away and i don't see much of those :salute:
  19. Tarkus

I have only seen just a few Blizzards here too since they came out. Time will tell if they will stand the test of time that the others have.
  20. caz1

caz1 Member

Tarkus were are you at in the mid west are you close to the up