1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V vs Fisher V

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by LB Landscaping, May 26, 2003.

?

Which one????

1. Boss V

26 vote(s)
    47.3%
  2. Fisher V

21 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. Get a straight blade

8 vote(s)
    14.5%
  1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping Senior Member
    from Maine

I know this has been discussed before but I couldn't find any specific posts. Looking for up to date experience with either plow. It would be great to hear from you guys that have used both and can compare.

2. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I have the Fisher and I love it... but having never used a Boss I really can't help much... I'm willing to bet that if I had the Boss I'd love that too..

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I was in the same boat as you. Last winter I was researching between Boss and Fisher V plows, and from what I have read in this forum, it seems that Fisher V plows is a better choice. Some members mentioned problems about Boss V plow, some said that it was so bad that they took it back to a dealer for a refund and got a different brand plow. I decided that I will get a Fisher V plow this summer for my truck.

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Well i dont have a Fisher,but I have its twin the Western MVP,and a Boss V.I love them both,but if i had to pick one,it would be the Boss,hands down.Its just much more efficient,time is money,and the boss is much less stressful on the trucks electrical system,the draw of the Western is very high,IMO. Then theres the controller,no contest here,boss is way easier to use,and western handheld one gets very hot after an hr+ of use,due to the lights in it staying on all the time.Western/Fisher does have some better areas too,the Boss just outweighs them,IMO. Contrary to whats been posted here,my Boss is much easier on my Dodge than my Western is on the GMC,I run U edges on both of them,I dont know how they would be with steel edges,since I never used the Boss with a steel edge.The center wiper is much better on the Western/Fisher,as is the plows relief settings,the Boss's wings blow back quicker,but i actually like that feature,its easier on the truck,and they only blow back if you wack something,the western acts like a straight blade,the whole truck will go sieways before the plow hits the relief valve.

5. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I have both, and prefer the Boss.

Much faster , as John mentioned, and the controls of the Boss blow the Fisher away.

I like the way the Fisher cleans, and since the truck its on is on an hourly pay rate, its no big deal. But at this time, I would not trade a Fisher for my Boss no matter the price.

6. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

What a decision...........Trip edge or trip blade???????

I like the Boss for control option for scoop and vee. The hand held is better IMO than the West/Fisher however the West/Fisher is much nicer for someone with a stick shift. Can palm the shifter and still run the plow.

I don't like the trip action in scoop on the boss. Too much stress on the pivot pin IMO should be a bigger diameter for the design.

Check the thread on cracks in my fisher plow for the lowdown on the stress in the west/fisher design. Have had to replace the spring holders and add positive stops to the trip edge and cyls on both the Western and the Fisher I had.

Ran a boss for part of a season and the speed is definatly nicer.

Unfortunatly I can't vote for either one because I won't go back to a v plow again unless I move somewhere with 2'+ snowfalls as a norm.

Running an 810 and a side wing and it's hard to beat the 14'+ in one pass. The scoop on the 810 carries more too.

I did a drivethrough and a bank for a while and the v scoop at 7'6" was nice. Can't say that would make me go back though.

Each has strengths and weakness you have to look at how you run your fleet and match with that.

Jerre

7. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

The problem with Boss isn't so much the plow, but the lack of service by the local dealer in your area.

Geoff

8. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Thanks all, I am still torn, I priced them out and they are the same. Both dealers are a mile from my house (in different directions). I do like the trip edge on the Fishers, I've never run a plow without it. The control on the Boss definatly kicks butt on Fishers.
    Geoff D are you refering to McFarland Spring??? They have always done pretty well for me.

9. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I could have sworn Boss came out with a trip edge design? Is it only available on their straight plows? I saw one at the BBQ last October, but I don't recall if it was a straight plow or not. I did notice it had X bracing across the back of the moldboard like the Fisher X Blade.

I think Geoff brought up a good point, dealer service, or in my case, a local dealer period. I see no Boss plows around here, because there are no dealers around here. In your case, if you have one Boss dealer, and they are not easy to deal with, or don't know and stand behind the products they sell, then they are worthless to you. If you have 5 Fisher dealers (which I would expect in Maine) then perhaps Fisher is a better choice for you. If I lived in Maine, it would be pretty hard for me not to buy a Fisher.

As for the controller, I used the same Western V controller John was talking about, and it does get hot. That gets old after running it for 10 hours.... I never ran a Boss so I cannot comment.

I see no reason to buy a straight plow considering the options out there today.

~Chuck

10. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Chuck, you are correct. I noticed the exact same thing you saw. When I looked at the Boss plows at BBQ last fall, I was like, what?!? Boss has trip edge plow? I was surpised because I always thought that all Boss plows are full trip. I also noticed the X bracing too, it actually was one slate instead of double slates like Fisher X Blade. It was a straight plow I believe. Yup, just checked the Boss brochure that I saved from last year BBQ. Boss have trip edge straight plows in 7.5', 8.0' and 9.0' length. But the majority of Boss plows are full trip.

11. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

http://www.bossplow.com/trip_edge.asp

They only have a straight blade trip edge so far............Look at that weblink and you can see it. I saw them using one of them this year at the Ford dealer near my house and it looked to perform pretty well for them.

Jay

12. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I have to agree with Jerre, now that Blizzard has come on the market,expandable, with a scoop,unless you need the v to punch through a lot of snow, then why buy a V? My Fisher V has paid for itself many times over, because of the increase in productivity, I plow in the scoop positron 80% of the time and stack in the scoop position 99%. I do need a V to open roads after a heavy snowfall, but my next addition will be another unit and the plow will be a Blizzard, because it offers even more productivity gains over the V. My V also has been a high maintenance plow, bend pins, creases etc, all detailed in other posts, and most of it is because of the high stress of 2 wings moving on a center pivot. If your looking at commercial plowing, and lots in particular, take a long hard look at Blizzard if there's a dealer close by

Bill

13. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

Is it legal to drive a small plow truck in Maine if it doesn't have a Fisher or Diamond hangin out front? :D

14. wyldman

wyldman Member

I don't run either,so my opinion is only based on what I see in the shop,and what our customers have to say.

The guys who have a Boss,or have owned both,usually prefer the Boss,due to the speed,and fewer repairs.They also seem to prefer the older Boss plows,some say the newer ones don't seem to scrape as well.I also do very few repairs on the Boss plows.Pretty much just minor welding and hoses.The Boss plow also has a very good attachment system.

The guys who have Westerns or Fishers seem to be happy with them,but most have experienced some sort of issue with blades twisting or cracking.I have repaired numerous V's due to twisted or broken wings.They need to beef them up a bit.It seems they are making them thinner and lighter every year.The Ultramount system is easy to hookup,but seems to hang lower,and we have seen a few which keep coming off the truck when plowing.A lot have also mentioned they would go back to a Boss if they had to pick another blade.

Like mentioned above,I think the Blizzard will be the plow to run if you need productivity and the ability to scoop snow and put it where you want it.The additonal blade width when extended,and the ease of transport when retracted are a big plus too.

15. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Ended going with the Fisher V. Got an 8 1/2, can't wait to put it to use. Love the MM2, she goes on and off real easy. Went with the Fisher because they offer a 2 year warranty, vs. 1 year offered by Boss. Also didn't like the fact that Boss doesn't have a trip edge on the V's. I'll post some picks soon. Thanks for all the advice guys!!!!:drinkup:

16. IDEALGREEN

IDEALGREEN Member
    from USA

The Boss

On my second year with Boss V-plow and love it! We plow 12 - 16 hrs. at a crack and never had a problem once last season.

The hand held controller is perfect! The only thing I need to add is a spin knob on my steering wheel. I think my fingers get more abused then the plow! left - right - left - right................

Rich D.
    Ideal Green
    Professional Property Services
    Menasha, WI

17. Sidebuz

Sidebuz Member

I just brought an 8'2" Boss Poly-V. Dealer offers 24 hr. services, excellent service, and is only 3 mi. away. Tired of running the old Meyer straight (8.5 foot- no major complaints, just nickel and diming me all the time).

18. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Congrats LB,glad you got a plow. Let us know how you like it once the white stuff falls.

19. Santo

Santo Banned

'03 8'2" V-Boss Steel Moldboard

Blade Width
    Straight-98" Height -29 1/2 "
    V-width -86"
    Scoop -84" 860#

Drive away installed Pa. price......w/ joystick $4600.00

vboss.jpg

20. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

The kind of weather we get here a lot of the storms the snow is either very heavy and wet or hard packed and icy. I see a lot of trip blade plows folded over and not really cleaning up good.The trip edge plows seem to get down to the pavement better.I like both the fisher and boss v plows if it wasnt for trip edge vs trip blade i dont know what i would prefer.