1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss v vs. fisher v xtreme?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by revdwg, Sep 13, 2011.

1. revdwg

revdwg Member
    from canada

ok guys i was wondering some reall world comparisons between these to. which do you like best and why. im looking at purchasing a boss v but the only thing i dont like is the trip blade part. how do the trip in the v and scoop posistion. im going to be plowing more unpaved drives and woods roads

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Somebody's trip edge.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Oh boy get ready to hear it all. Here's my experience with our Fisher's...The ability to trip in any position I think has save wear and tare on the plows, trucks,us and customer's concrete. I bought Fisher's over BOSS for just that reason, I mean I also knew they were quality plow's. BOSS makes quality plow's as well I just don't like the fact if and when you hit something when in scoop or V position's the truck or you are going to take a beating. I also don't like the whole springs on the mold board thing, I honestly don't even understand why they are there. One of our subs went through 2 sets last year alone. IMO the Extreme V's are the best plow out there, they're dependable, very fast and offer a stainless steel mold board. Our 06 looks like its a year or two old tops and the other one, well it is brand new,lol. A big thing to consider is dealer support. A shinny new ss Fisher is useless if something should fail if the dealer isn't very good. The only things we have replaced on the 06 V blade is a set of hydro lines and 2 cutting edges. We service them every season and spray them down with the ol' Fluid Film before during and after a season to prevent rust. We have a Fisher dealer who is very good and a BOSS/Blizzard dealer who sells a lot of plows as well, we just prefer the Fisher's. I personally think if your going to be plowing dirt/gravel driveways a trip edge would be easier on the truck.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Guess I'll tune in...

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I have used a fisher straight blade for 23 years and a Boss V for 2 years.

I plow only paved driveways.

the Boss plow when in scoop will and does trip the same way ALL full trip plows do when angled, the foreword part of the blade is pushed back by popping the pressure relief valve until the blade is straight enough to trip. When the foreword edge is pushed back it dampens a lot of force.

have you ever had the blade angled and snagged a frozen pile on the foreword edge? The plow folds back, that is the pressure valve (crossover valve).

as far as plowing gravel I want to know which is better full trip or trip edge.

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

IMO Nothing is great in pure gravel though a full trip moldboard with a gravel edge works well

I have ran both on Frozen maintained gravel roads and it is the only time I prefer a trip edge. Full trips tend to bounce on or dig out the bigger frozen rocks and are a slower rougher ride and leave more clean up. I only deal with one of these situations and it is a employee's 3/4 mile gravel lane so we have experimented when possible. I NEVER go home to get a trip edge to plow just the one lane but it's a nicer ride and you can work faster with the trip edge. We will take a trip edge if there's one around if he goes just to do his drive.

7. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

I have never used either plow but, I like the Fisher better becouse of the trip edge.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You East Coast guys think Fisher is the only plow made. :drinkup:

I was in Maine and Mass. this summer and I bet I saw 95% Fisher mounts. Nothing wrong with them it just amazes me how much of the market share they have.

9. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Ya, Maine is pretty much dominated buy Fisher. I personaly am not realy a brand loyal person, I go with what ever I think is the best at the time.

10. revdwg

revdwg Member
    from canada

how does the fisher with the chain compare to the hydrualic cylinder on the boss?

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

After having chain lift for years I love the direct lift. No bouncing of the plow driving down the roads.

12. revdwg

revdwg Member
    from canada

also guys i was wondering. if i had a v plow on my truck and my buddy has a boss straight blade would i be able to hook my truck up to his or is the electrical conection different?

13. Fuzz

Fuzz Junior Member

Fisher put together a pretty in-depth video on the difference between the two. It's obviously in Fisher's favor, but they bring up some really good points.

V-Plow Comparison

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Electrical connections and mounting systems VERY different

15. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I own a fisher (straight blade) and a Boss V that video is so full of **** it aint worth watching.
    it misrepresent and lies,exaggerate and ...

16. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I my self only live about an hour and a half from the Maine border and Fisher does not dominate here like they use to years ago. You now are seeing more and more Boss plows. You do see a lot of Diamond plows though but they are mostly used by home owners.

17. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Not this video again.

It's not even close to the truth.

18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

From what I have been told, Boss only makes 1 wire harness, so yes your V blade set up will run a straight blade.

19. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

Yes, you will be able to hook up. Your v controller should operate the up down left tight( i think) but, if needed, just unplug his controller and plug it into your harness, and vice versa if he needs to use your v. Chevy to Ford to Dodge doesnt matter either.

20. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

Electrical and control connections the same for both plows. In a "pinch", you can even run a straight plow with a v-plow control.