1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V vs. Boss VXT

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by mercer_me, Mar 9, 2014.

1. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Is the Boss VXT worth the extra money and weight if you're using it for noncommercial use? Besides the flared wings what is the difference between the two plows?

2. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Vxt will come with smartlock cylinders standard.

3. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

V or VXT isn't an option for me, if I was getting a Boss it would be a DXT. Gotta have that trip edge and flared wings.

4. mercer_me

I would want the smartlock cylinders. I do a fair amount of back dragging.

I'm still unsure about the trip blade my self. I'm most likely going to get a 1/2 ton and the 7.5' Fisher Xtreme V weighs 821lb and that's a lot more weight than I want on a 1/2 ton. If I end up getting a 3/4 ton and I get a V plow it will be either a Fisher Xtreme V or Xtreme V 2. I wish Fisher would make a V plow that weighed around 700lb for 1/2 ton trucks.

5. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

I get what your saying. I use power v's on my chevy's and a dxt on my dodge due to the weight. Dodge handles the weight much better.

The smartlocks are a option on the pwr v. Just compare apples to apples for pricing with smartlocks. Then figure out the weight issue.

6. mercer_me

The the 7.5' VXT only weighs 13lb more than the regular power V. So, it's going to come down to if it will cost more to put smartlocks on a power V or buy a VXT.

7. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

They won't be making a power v next year. This is the last year for the flat top plow. So get your order in before the end of March.

8. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

There's not a BIG difference between V and the VXT imo. The nice part about the VXT is the increased height when pushing into a pile and stacking.

It's hard to say if it actually throws snow farther then the flat-top V.

How much more $ is the VXT over the flat-top V?

9. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Not sure what the price difference is but I bet since they are discontinuing it if you called around you could get a good price on the flat top. For the amount of plowing you say you do I would think the flat top would be fine, but if it's a matter of want vs need that's another story.

10. mercer_me

I think I would be fine with a flat top. I would buy one now if I was 100% sure that I'm getting a Tundra but, I may end up with a 3/4 ton GMC. Plus, if the price difference is only a few hundred dollars then I might as well just get a VXT.

11. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

VXT is worth it for a little more $. There Is a reason Boss isn't making the flag top anymore........ most guys are buying the VXT, and now probably the DXT.

12. R75419

R75419 Senior Member

After this record setting year I sure wish we had sprung for the vxt as I would have been able to to windrow higher on my long service drives. Even if Boss was keeping the flat tops I would never buy another for that reason alone.

13. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

if your getting a power v (flattop) better hurry they are ending them and quantities are limited