1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V Unresponsive

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Travis Boyer, Nov 17, 2014.

1. Travis Boyer

Travis Boyer Junior Member

Hello All,
    I recently upgraded to a new to me Boss V. I have rebuilt pretty much everything due to the push frame being bent. I replaced the screens inside the resovoir and when I reinstalled it the plow will not function. I will admit that I mixed up the pressure and return hoses initially and when I hit the lift button the plow went into scoop mode. I made my correction and now the pump kicks on but it will not raise or angle the cylinders. Could my problem be in the hydraulic block? Also, the plow is an '04 model and I don't think the previous owner ever changed the fluid as it resembled tomato soup when I drained it. Any ideas or direction would be appreciated.
    Thanks, Travis

2. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

sounds like a cluster!@#$

good luck

3. Travis Boyer

I don't disagree with you...LOL

4. JMast

JMast Junior Member

No response from plow..

Have you figured it out yet? I've got an 02 boss V RT3 and I have power to it, lights come on, controller working, and when I press lift I can hear the solenoid click, but no response from the plow. Any ideas anyone?

5. Travis Boyer

Is your controller in float mode?

6. JMast

JMast Junior Member

No the green light is on, if I hold the lower button it turns red, indicating float mode.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Travis,,, did the plow work at all before?

8. Travis Boyer

Yes it did but was very sluggish due to years of deferred maintenance.

9. dieselss

Ok, and what did you take off? Do?

10. Travis Boyer

I have removed the push frame and replaced it with a new one; while I was at it, I separated the wings and lubricated the pivot shaft. I removed all cylinders and hoses to make sure they were fully drained. I removed the pump and rebuilt it, new pick up screens and o-rings. I also removed the electric motor and checked the brushes and they were good. I removed all valves and coils, cleaned and coated them with dielectric grease and reinstalled. I'm wondering if perhaps I have a blockage in the manifold? Anyone ever have this experience??

11. dieselss

You greased the inside of the valves?
    Double Ck your wiring at the valves, get the wiring and hydraulic schematic and follow it. See if you hooked something wrong

12. Travis Boyer

I used dielectric grease where the coils slide onto the valves. I've printed off the electric and hydraulic schematics from the Boss website and will be doing a thorough inspection tomorrow in a heated shop. I feel confident I have all my connections, both electric and hydraulic, correct, but will know more tomorrow upon further investigation.

13. dieselss

I used dielectric grease where the coils slide onto the valves.

That might be half your problem. Clean that off the valves first and retry.

14. Snow tracker

Snow tracker Senior Member

Are you sure your pump is actually pumping fluid?

15. Travis Boyer

That is the first thing to determine. I feel it is because when I reversed the pressure and return lines the plow went into scoop position.

16. Travis Boyer

I will do so.

17. SHAWZER

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Clean the ground where it disconnects between truck and plow. Mine does that and clean ground fixed it . Thumbs Up

18. dieselss

Yea, start a new thread, don't hijack someone else's

19. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

You might have it air locked. Trying cracking the lines one at a time and running the plow until hydraulic fluid starts coming out.

20. Travis Boyer

I got it functioning. I removed the manifold and removed all the valves, pressure relief valves and check valves. I then blew compressed air through it to clean out any debris. Upon putting everything back together I noticed a few valves seemed "swollen" as the coils were hard to slide over them. Initially I had the same unresponsiveness as before so I switched a couple of valves around and it functions flawlessly. I'm speculating that a few valves had issues due to the fluid not being changed in 10 years. I'm going to order a few valves just to have them on hand. Anything else I need to do to this plow??