1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss v trouble

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by kdwashman, Oct 31, 2011.

1. kdwashman

kdwashman Junior Member
    from pa

I have a boss 8.2 power v R3. While plowing saturday the plow would not lift easily in the inverted v position. If i straighten the blade just a few inches it will lift easily. It makes a whining sound and strains, but will lift. The plow has no problems lifting in any other position just in the "scoop position". I bought the plow used and it did not do this sitting in my drive in august. This was the first time i used it to plow. Just for info, when i had this plow installed by boss dealer they cranked my t-bars 6 turns, it is on a 1500HD. I wasn't crazy about the rough ride so i installed Firestone level rite air shocks on front. Made a big difference, de-cranked bars 3 turns and ride shocks with 65 psi. Ride is much better and truck carries plow with no problem. Any ideas on the plow issue?

2. stoneexc2

stoneexc2 Member

in my experience the relief is set to low or you could be low on fluid. I also had one plow that the motor was bad when I got it and was drawing to hard since it had a short in it

3. kdwashman

kdwashman Junior Member
    from pa

checked the fluid level was fine. Could this be an air bubble in the system? Funny it only happens in scoop position.

4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

According to Many on this site.....Boss Plows "NEVER" have any problems....This Post doe's not Make any sense....:eek:.....:help:....:laughing:

5. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

sure sounds like low fluid to me. In the full scoop position, the most fluid is being used, so if it is a little low, there is nothing for the pump to pump when trying to lift in the scoop position but would lift when it is moved back a little. Did you check your fluid level correctly? I'm not exactly sure, but v should be all the way back (closest to truck) and plow on level ground. I think the fluid should be real close to the top of the reservoir.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure you plow pins are in all the way and it hooked up the right way.

7. iceman1

iceman1 Sponsor

I think it is air. Losen a line and let fluid come out. fill backup and see if this helps

8. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Your description does sound like low fluid. After checking fluids, air bubbles,etc., you may wish to check out the pump. As pumps begin to fail they will work ok for a while but when they get good and warm they begin to act up.

9. stoneexc2

stoneexc2 Member

the other problem it could be is wet and heavy snow if your trying to stack piles with really wet snow you could be running the pump against the relief to even lift the blade

10. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

GOOD THOUGHT!!, I hadn't even thought about that or if its sticking to the blade. I had that happen with a western, too much stuck to the blade and it wouldn't pick it up