1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V Trip

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jb1390, Dec 4, 2009.

1. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

Does anyone have a video (or picture if you can time it that good) fo a boss v tripping in any position other than straight? It seems to me that there would be quite a shock passed to the truck, and that a significant amount of snow could go under the blade when it trips, especially in scoop. Never used one or seen one in action in anything other than videos. Heard a lot of good stuff about them though, I am curious about how they trip.

2. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

if it trips in scoop or v, snow going under the blade would be the least of your worries. Id be more concerned with the goose egg on my head, or picking everything up off the floor.

3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

You guys with striate blade just dont get it. IF you have your striate blade angled all the way to the right, and you hit a curb how does it trip?

4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

That's easy-the springs and assembly angle with the moldboard. The plow will ALWAYS trip parallel with the moldboard. That is also true with a trip edge v blade. The trip edge will always remain parallel with the moldboard that it is attached to.

5. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

That's easy-the springs and assembly angle with the moldboard. The plow will ALWAYS trip parallel with the moldboard. That is also true with a trip edge v blade. The trip edge will always remain parallel with the moldboard that it is attached to.

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

and if its a full trip plow?

7. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

That's what I am curious about with the Boss V. I have never seen one in action other than videos, and never used one. None of the videos I have seen show it tripping. I know there are people that say they won't buy a full trip V, and that makes sense to me in theory. However, they seem an extremely popular and rugged plow so I am curious how the theory works out in practice. Is the rest of it that much better than everything else that people just deal with this one downfall, or is it not a downfall that anyone who owns one can see? I am not trying in any way to be critical of the design, I am just curious.

8. Deco

Deco Senior Member

dude , you gotta get one , im not telling , i thought the same sh*t. i now wear a helmet while plowing :laughing Post #204 MO

9. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

No, they do not trip like a straight blade. Yes, it is more violent. In scoop, the wings get forced back when the blade trips, it will spill your coffee. In vee, it'll just trip, the rotation is around the vee portion of the plow.

You trip a Boss and it seems or feels like the truck drives up over top the plow.

Straight blades just trip waaayyy easier, heck my 16' Danials trips so easy but yet I can plow all nite with a vee and never trip it or bounce my head off the ceiling.

If you don't like the trip blade or question the concept, buy another brand - they both work and there's millons of them out there.

10. Deco

Deco Senior Member

or ..Boss sells the Trip-edge blade
    where the cutting edge trips only , like a fish

11. snow tender

snow tender Senior Member

I have tripped mine in the V:dizzy::dizzy: and like framer said it is violent. Their are other company's that make a V plow but I like the boss better. For me it was the fact of the weight dangling on a chain.

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

subscribed

13. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

Cant take video of a boss tripping cause they rarely do.

However, when the wings hit an object, they gently fold back and it will normally bring your truck to a nice smooth stop.

These plows are tough and do pretty good at taking a beating.

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Come on, you have got to be crapping me?

Are you one of the guys that plows under 12 MPH or whatever the recommended speed is?

15. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

There's actually an early warning system with Boss plows when they trip.

You are tooling along well above that recommended speed watching the snow fly off to the side when you notice your hood / quarter panel start to rise into the air. You mutter oh no not again / grip the wheel all while your head bounces off the roof or better yet the steering wheel.

Straight blades don't offer that early warning system.....

I know about 8 places along 28th st up there in GR that you could test this system at - the man seems to be having issues finding a relable contractor at his advertised rates..

16. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

The cross over relief will kick in and the blade will angle with the curb until it trips.