1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V retracts WAY to hard

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MrGaribaldi, Sep 28, 2004.

1. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi Junior Member

Hiya fellas,

Is it normal for a Boss V blades to retract to the V position hard? And I mean HARD. Knocks things outta the glove box hard. Dealer says it ok, but I am of the mind that its to hard. Nothing in the manual about adjusting retract speed.

2. wakesetter2001

wakesetter2001 Member

The retraction of the side wings is done with the large springs that you see on the back of the plow blades. I believe you can adjust the springs with a nut that is on a long threaded bolt that is part of that spring assembly. The hydraulics only push the wings out and the plow up. The wings retract when the pressure is released and the springs pull them back. The blade drops dew to its own weight. There is know positive pressure for retraction or down pressure. I believe if you check the boss web site they do have different hydraulic rams for the side wings that will lock them out but still will not have positives pressure for the return cycle.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Basically what is happening is that when you go to put the blade back into the v position you are opening a valve at the power unit which just dumps all of the fluid from the cylinder back into the tank. One of the things you can do to slow them down is to put flow restrictors in line. This will help to slow the fluid down as it returns to the tank (they are adjustable) but wont slow the blade down when you wing a blade out.

4. MrGaribaldi

MrGaribaldi Junior Member

Thats not a bad idea Crash..

I wonder why Boss doesnt have that option factory installed. Retract is so harsh.

5. hyperpack

hyperpack Senior Member

Big Bang

I have a couple boss plows that did the same thing and it worked well to loosen the retract spring tension as Wakesetter mentioned. If you put a flow restricter in the line the wing would not be able to fold back fast enough when you hit something hard.
    Another advantage to releasing the spring tension is that the springs will last alot longer,however backdragging is not quite as good.
    Hyperpack

6. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Another reason Fishers with dual acting cylinders are better. Any position your desire is locked in.

7. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog Senior Member

Just loosen the springs and that will fix it!