1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by '01RamBoss, Jan 26, 2005.

1. '01RamBoss

'01RamBoss Junior Member
    from NJ

I have a 01 Boss 8' vee on a 01 ram 2500. The blade seems to move slower then my uncles 03 Boss 8' vee on his 03 ford F 350. also i just replaced the battery in my ram even so the truck blade still seems to draw alot from the electic system. I talked to someone with a 02 Boss 8' vee he's running ATF instead of the boss hydralic fluid since he's owned it with no problems and his blade moved twice as fast. Also is anyone having problems breaking cutting edges? I've lost 2 since i've owned this plow. The last time i was doing 2 mph hit a manhole cover and lost the inside part of the edge. Both broken edges have been the inside part.

2. capital

capital Senior Member

On Boss plows you can adjust the flow to speed up or slow down your response time. If that does not seem to improve alot of times it means it is due to be flushed out and replaced with new hydralic fluid.

3. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

You might check the electrical connections on the plow motor or the plugs themselves to make sure they are getting a good connection. Sounds like you might have loose connection or maybe even a motor starting to go bad, try tapping it with a hammer while it is running. As far as the broken edges go, join the club (we meet the fifth tuesday of every other month starting with a vowel not including August).

4. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Chek to make all your conections are up to snuff and all is good Ect. Have you flushed your plow hydralics? This should be done at least once a year IMO. I run synthetic atf, my dad has ran atf in his boss since 2000. Is it retraction or every position thats slow? could be the wing springs need adjustment.

Boss plows are weel built but since thier tripping sucks IMO they tend to be hard on themselves. Breaking edges, breaking welds, cant remember the last time we could keep a center hoof on ect. its normal. Seen a broken edge in the same place you describe from a guy that runs shoes and plows like a puss.

5. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

I heard that the Smart-Lock cylinders are slower than the standard cylinders. If you have them and your uncle doesn't, that could be part of the reason your plow is slower.

6. '01RamBoss

'01RamBoss Junior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for your inputs on my question. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with the edge problem. My uncle and I have identical boss blades with the smart lock cylinders. Incase one breaks the other can hook up. What and how would I flush the system. Ratlover it's every position. The retract seems to be fine just when the hydrolics move it's slow. P.S. how do I add info to bottom of postings?

7. '01RamBoss

'01RamBoss Junior Member
    from NJ

[QUOTE='01RamBoss]Thanks for your inputs on my question. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with the edge problem. My uncle and I have identical boss blades with the smart lock cylinders. Incase one breaks the other can hook up. What and how would I flush the system. Ratlover it's every position. The retract seems to be fine just when the hydrolics move it's slow. P.S. how do I add info to bottom of postings?[/QUOTE] If you want it done right do it yourself.

8. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

HI. I have been a member of the BOSS V plow broken cutting edge club since 1999. As for the hydraulics being slow it maybe time for a new plow pump motor.Ours slowed way down and started pulling way more amps than it should. We just changed ours this month and its like a new plow again. Also drop and retracting is gravity and spring power.

9. '01RamBoss

'01RamBoss Junior Member
    from NJ

Mark the blade is only 4 yrs old. can't believe the pump is bad already. I do realize that the drop and retract were that. I was refering to the wings and lift of the blade.

10. Mark Witcher

At 4 years it could be bad. To be sure you should have it checked, and have the pump pressure checked also.

11. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

You guys are making me real nervous!! I've plowed with a Boss 9'2" Poly V for about 5 years now. I just flushed the fluid last fall. I didn't seem to see any difference in lift/extend speed. It seems to work just fine. I haven't broke a cutting edge yet. I definitly don't plow slow or causiously. My wife hit a 12" water cap on a street so hard last year that it ricoched off a steel dumpster 30' away and left a hell of a dent in the front of the dumpster. I've tripped the blade hard enough to lift the front tires off the ground several times. Everytime I get out with a flashlight and expect to see that blade in 3 different pieces. Each time, after careful inspection, I get back in and go back to plowing. Mabey I'm just lucky? Oh - Oh, I'm sure that that remark just screwed me.

12. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

I think your just lucky.look here 8.2 BOSS

13. Mark Witcher

If you hit a cover near the center of the blade , it will break off. The cutting edge is unsuported for about 6 inches near the center. Boss needs to add another bolt closer to the center hinge.

14. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

BNC,
    The only thing that I can think of is my blade is a poly and seems to have a lot more bracing on the back side of the molbord. Mabey that is what is saving me.

15. '01RamBoss

'01RamBoss Junior Member
    from NJ

BNC that was some nasty stuff... as for the edge breakage I plan to replace both edges with some tempered 5/8 steel this summer. I talked to a guy I know and he replaced his with some carbon steel.... had to modify to fit old truck...

Attached Files:

16. '01RamBoss

'01RamBoss Junior Member
    from NJ

on another note. how do you add info to the bottom of the posting IE truck / plow . I'm new to the site here and not sure on things. Still learning

17. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

[QUOTE='01RamBoss]on another note. how do you add info to the bottom of the posting IE truck / plow . I'm new to the site here and not sure on things. Still learning[/QUOTE]

Go to user CP at the top of this page and click on edit signature.
    Type in what you want to see and it will be there on all of your new posts.

New Bitmap Image.JPG

18. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Yearly I do the quick and easy(read non messy) flush. Actually its more of a drain but anywho……

I retract all of the cylinders(this is important!) drain the fluid outa the resivor and replace with new fluid. I cycle everything a few times and recheck the level.

If I want to get all the old out I start with the drain method previously mentioned) I will raise the blade and and yank the lines going right into the angle cylinders, angle the blade back and forth to compress what ever cylinder is extended to squish out the fluid and then bump the left and right angle to sneeze out the fluid in the lines. If you are running single acting cylinders(like the boss v) you can just retract em, pull the lines and sneeze out the fluid in the lines, Also retract the lift cylinder and then sneeze out the fluid in that line. Gotta make sure you don’t run it outa fluid and after you hook everything back up you need to cycle everything a bit and recheck your fluid. Then cycle everything a bit more and recheck! Just remember you goal is to get as much of the old fluid out as possible keep in mind how a hyd cylinder works. Also BE CAREFULL! Hydralic lines can have A LOT of pressure behind em. If your not carefull you can get an eye full. You might start taking a line off and there be a little seaping and then all of a sudden the line pops free and it will squirt out HARD! It can/will creat a lot of a mess, it will also shoot out a good amount of fluid outa a open line. Hopefully all that made sense?

I would recomend anytime you are working with hydralic lines you wear some eye protection

19. '01RamBoss

'01RamBoss Junior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the info on the plow Ratlover.
    Thanks for the info on the site mebes.