1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by PINEISLAND1, Oct 24, 2000.

1. PINEISLAND1

PINEISLAND1 PlowSite.com Veteran

I have a boss 8'2" V, that is two years old. I just bought it this fall, and it's my first V.

My question is this-

The hoses seem to bow forward and are right in the way of the wings when they return to the ^ position. It pinches them right about at the trip springs. Even when they don't get pinched, they seem to rub on the frame an awful lot. Is this a normal problem? Can they be routed differently, or shortened? The previous owner put garden hose around the rubbing spots, but the pinching seems serious.

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Been there, done that.... it's a real problem. We have 9 Boss V plows of our own in addition to the subs units.

We ended up using those 10" plastic ties that usually are used with electric lines to tie them to a pipe or a beam or something (where the one end slides up over the other and then you slide it until the loop is closed - I don't know the technical name for them, that's what I have mechanics for), and tying the two hoses together just behind the V hinge. We find that the hoses still have enough play to move when the wings are brought back and forth, and they just miss the springs, and also don't ever get pinched again.

Other than that pinching, we have never had a problem with blown hoses or bad quick disconnects. It's one real nice thing about the Boss plows as compared to Meyers (whose hoses are made to blow up regularly and just when it is snowing the worst and just after the temps drop to the lowest point in three weeks, yada, yada, yada.....)

3. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

I have 9 Boss plow as well and have the same situation we have just left them and have not had a problem with a bad hose yet.But if you want to tie them together with zip tie that would work or use rubber bungees so that they stretch when the wings are extended.The hoses need to be set so they just don't max out their length when the wings are fully extended,then see if they look better.

4. John Allin

ZIP TIES !!!

That's them.....

Thanks Digger....

5. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Theres alot of new things out in the shop since you been there, like big heavy objects with sticks on them we call them hammers,and even alot of tools run with air its really cool things have come along ways take a look some time.

6. John Allin

Sounds like I gotta get out of the office more....

7. Doug406

Doug406 Member

Well we only have 2 boss v's. But the new 9'2" this year came with clamps to tie the hoses to each wing to stay out of the way of the springs.

8. John Allin

Only took 'em 5 years to rectify the problem that we all learned to fix in a month.

9. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Doug does your new plow have the hydro lift for mounting and does it make the blade easier to put on.

10. Aspen Snow

Aspen Snow Senior Member

Well if it was a Meyer it would only take 20 years. You know, like the E-47 pump!

11. Doug406

Doug406 Member

Yes both have a hydro cylinders that lift the plow. And yes I can hook or unhook in about 30 seconds. Just make sure it is on a level area and on cement.