1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V- Poly or Steel?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lakeeffect, Jan 31, 2004.

1. lakeeffect

lakeeffect Senior Member

Going to be looking for a Boss V for my 01 Ford PSD, what are you Boss users opinions on the Poly -vs- Steel . Weight is about the same from what I have seen. How do the poly blades hold up? i need something to tough as we get 200+" a year . Does extreme cold effect them? Saw a snowway lexan blade break in our very cold temps. Like the idea of no sandblasting and repainting but do the polys discolor over time? Thanks for your input.
  2. Sidebuz

Sidebuz Member

I love my Boss poly V!! No major problems yet....
  3. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

I have a friend who has been using his for about 3 years. Still looks like brand new.
  4. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

I have a boss steel v blade and wish i had gotten poly. snow doesnt stick nearly as well to poly as it does to steel. So get a poly blade. :D :D
  5. 04superduty

like jsheedy said a poly will look new after many years of service. with a steel whey they get scratched you have a big gash or scratch that is visible. With a poly the whole thing is the same color, so scratches arent as visible. :D
  6. Greensway

Greensway Member

I had a poly meyer, It was great.
    No more scraping, grinding then painting.
    After 3 years it still looked new.
  7. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

04 Superduty

I coat my plow with WD40 before I go out to plow and that works really well. Snow slides right off:waving:
  8. 04superduty

boss, i waxed mine and it works pretty good. felt alittle stupid putting 3 layers of wax on a plow. :D :D will try the wd 40
  9. The Boss

I heard wax works well also. The Wd40 works great! It may not look like you've been plowin much but it keeps all the extra weight from the snow off of it.:nod: :waving:
  10. Sidebuz

Sidebuz Member

Are you guys putting the wax or WD-40 on your poly blades or steel blades? I tried waxing by poly one year and I thought the snow stuck on the blade. I was so happy when the wax wear off. I did that because of another snowplower was doing it after every snow event and was claiming "it slides off your blade and feels like you are not pushing anything."

What kind of wax are you using? Turtle wax? Surf board? I'm curious....
  11. 04superduty

i used turtle wax on my steel blade. i dont think using it on a poly blade would do much. Not much snow sticks to a poly. :D :D
  12. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

Poly all the way. That's what I have.
  13. rjets00

rjets00 Member

I own the Boss steel blade, I like it, have no expereince with poly. I did see a lexon blade (snow way) shattered here in town, the guy now has a steel blade. The weight of the poly plow is a bit heavier, but I notice I 'm always carrying 50 or 60 # of snow frozen to my steel blade. As long as you buy a Boss you won't go wrong either way. Good luck
  14. I would buy a steel because it weighs less in the beginning without the snow packed on it and if you hit something and tear up the molboard, it can be welded up in minutes and back to plowin. If you shatter a poly, you are screwed until the new one comes in to the dealer. Maybe lost accounts.

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

Everyone I know with a poly seems happy!
  16. The Boss

I use the WD40 on my steel blade.:waving:
  17. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i use silcone spray
  18. kogler

kogler Junior Member

Stainless steel blade

I have been using snowway poly's for about 8 years. They hold up Ok but do get small stress fractures in them. I changed to a stainless steel blade for this winter. i hope it holds up

19. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I bought a Boss 9'2" poly V about 4-5 years ago. It is a little heavier than the steel but won't hold as much snow. I have had to scrape some snow off it in the past. I think when conditions (temp, humidity, etc) are just right snow will stick to anything. I do like the poly due to the extra steel behind the blade and also the mulbord maintanance is far less. I did wax mine this fall just to see what it will do. I would definitaly buy a Boss poly again.
  20. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

The red poly's do turn somewhat pink if kept outside with no cover. So yes they all will fade if stored outside.