1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V-Plows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Kennedy, Jan 18, 2000.

1. Kennedy

Kennedy Junior Member

I have just come across an 8'2" Boss V-plow that I am thinking of putting on my 1987 Chevy K20. It seems to be in good condition, and the price is right. What type of things should I know about this plow? How does back drag? It must be of an older design because it is not one of their "smart hitch" models. You have to understand the only thing I have ever used up until now are 9 foot Fishers... thanks.

2. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

What year is the plow? They made 4 over the years:<p>Original, Rapid Tach 1: Junk, bottoms weak.<p>2nd Generation: Great Units, powder coat, etc<p>Rapid Tach 2: Could be difficult to attach.<p>Rapid Tach 3: Great, even stronger bottoms, hook up easy, but don't lift as high.<p>That's in a quick nutshell. E-Mail for more info, I've had over 20 of them.<br>

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Well when compared to a fisher 9 footer you will be amazed at how easy it will be drive with a v plow on the front of the truck. My truck before my 98 had a 9'fisher and it was an ox at manuvering in trafic and backing in tight spaces. Always angleing to get around things.<br>The problem I have with boss v plows is the full trip design, it just doesnt seem to work with a v plow. In the scoop postion it is impossible for the plow to trip. It will make for a tough plow ride in the truck, but you are used to that with the fisher anyway.<br>You will be amazed at how much more effiecient you will be with a v plow compared to a straight. It will have a tendency to fold the wings forward when you try to back drag in heavy snow.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Try a fisher v-plow, i have two of them they are great. Fisher does make a good plow, i just dislike the Minute Mount design. I think the trip edge is a great thing on v-plows and streight blades. Only on a v-plow a trip edge is a must.<p>Geoff

5. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

You're right Dino.<p>They key is to know where it'll trip. If you catch a man-hole cover in the middle of the plow, while it's scooped, you're history.<p>But in the scoop you hit a curb with the plow tips (outer edges) the whole plow rocks forward pretty nicely.<p>It should be noted that the original Boss* V-Plow (1987?) was lower than todays and therefore the angle allowed even less tripping.<br>

6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Diamond Had a v-plow out long before 1987. I am not sure when it came out. It was slow in performance, and it looked like a down sized highway v-plow. The wings were higher at the outsides then in the center. Only it did incorporate a trip edge. The problem with this early v-plow was it didn't collect the snow very well, it let a lot through between the two wings.<p>Geoff

7. Kennedy

Kennedy Junior Member

How does one tell what year the Boss plow is? <br>If you have this year's &quot;Plow Parts Warehouse&quot; catalog- the Boss plow they show &quot;is&quot; my plow. It has the rocker switch control and everything. Thanks again.

8. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

It's probably a really early one (87-89) or 89-93. The 89-93 were the best. They were better because the bottoms were better engineered, making them stronger and less suceptable to rust. Also they were powder-coated and sat up higher. <p>The sitting up high is important because the lower ones would have the truck Iron scrape when pulling out of approaches and also the center pin would wear easily and push up out of the hinge. The cutter edges could only wear half-way or so.<p>In all likelihood, if it's the old conventional style, it's probably the 89-93 model which is really good.<br>