1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 2robinhood, Jan 9, 2011.

1. 2robinhood

2robinhood Senior Member

How does the Boss V plow trip?
    I have seen other V plows with trip edges, but the Boss seems to be a full mull board trip and I am not sure how it would trip when it is V'ed in either direction.

2. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Here is a pic of the back of the plow. The springs on the wings return the wings to the vee position. The 4 springs inbetween the frame of the blade are what allows it to trip. When in scoop the whole plow will trip down also when you are angled in either direction it will trip down.

531fcd0bcd3c27b0f29140fb72062157.jpg

3. 2robinhood

2robinhood Senior Member

Thanks, I know that much, but when V'ed all the way forward?
    I really can't see how it can trip.
    If the tips of both cutting edges are so far forward ( leverage ) how can it cam over?
    Just as a stupid demo.
    Use you fingers V'ed forward and have your fingers on a flat surface.
    To push ( trip ) your finger tips into a solid surface, your wrist have to raise.
    Will the Boss not trip or will it lift the front of the truck?

4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The wings seem to spring back and then the blade trips. We've been running Boss V's since 98 and we've only had it happen once where it didn't trip but the pot hole was so enormous I don't think any blade would have done so well.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Yup I agree. I never had a issue with mine.

6. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

I believe all modern plows have some sort of pressure relief on the angle cylinders so it will bypass and let the blade angle when you hit a curb with one end of the plow. When in scoop and the plow tries to trip the hydralic press in the cyl would be enough to let the wing fold back as the plow trips.

7. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

I have been running my V plow for 3 years with "trip" issues. I love this plow and will never own another!

8. jimchris

jimchris Member

I had a V with trip edge, I like the Boss full trip much better.

9. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

You know I've had my 9-2 er for 12 years now and I think maybe once it tripped in V mode.One time I can easily remember it didn't and I wish it did,I thought at first I broke me and the truck in half.I must have been going 15 or so on a gravel drive for the first time and as I saw the driveway before snow,I was trying to remember where the pavement started.I found it OK--BOOM--thank god I had both hands tight on my wheel.The back of the little dump truck jumped up in the air it was so violent a shock.

10. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

I suppose it would be a lot worse in V than scoop, in scoop the rams will absorb the shock as the wing folds back , in V if you hit a curb or manhole etc dead center youve got the weight of the wings and the trip springs to overcome... Buckle up!!!

11. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

It does trip...somewhat violently depending on position, but rest assured it does.

12. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

I've tripped mine in both scoop and v numerous times and it's worked well much to my surprise. The most violent part was the blade slamming back into the upright position ... though I do have my trip springs tightened up a little more than the usual "business card" gap.

13. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

they will trip in v no problem, usually in scoop the edges will ride up over the obstacle before tripping is necessary.

i really wish they could put shock absorbers on the V's

14. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I hear that.

15. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

There was some dude on here last year that was crossing the railroad tracks and hit them with his Boss V and it threw him right into the windshield hard enough to knock him out??? He said when he came to sometime later he was covered in blood????? Now thats HARD!

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Reminds me of the guy last season who plowed straight across a set of railroad tracks. First set was no problem but the second set had just enough gap that the plow found it and dropped right in stopping it cold. Tore a few of the trip edge pivot tabs off and wedged the base angle in there really good bending it in the process. Had to use a few pry bars to dig it up out. He laughed about it afterward after I had the plow repaired....until he realized the doors and fenders also no longer fit correctly on the truck. She was bent too. :nod:

He no longer plows straight across the tracks.....

17. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Somebody likes these Boss threads.......

18. Mopard

Mopard Senior Member

Can you explain?