1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V-Plow

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by ahlkey, Dec 7, 2010.

1. ahlkey

ahlkey Junior Member

I new to the forum and have decided on buying a Boss V-Plow. My question is it worth the extra dollars to get the XVT model ($300 more) or the ploy XVT version (another $300). I like the advantages of the poly XVT version but for $600 dollars extra over the standard steel V config is a lot given that it will not be used all that much? It would be installed on my F250 farm truck.

I plan to use the plow for my own business clearing a small parking lot, a long gravel entrance of over 300ft to a log home, and then at times to break some logging trails for timber harvest rather than bringing all the logs to the roadside. Right now all snow removal is done with a tractor loader and back blade so this would be a huge upgrade in time for me. I am in northern wisconsin we do get a fair amount of snowfall all the way through March.

Any advise from people who have experienced in this configuration would be appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Look at the boss forum and read a bunch of the topics there
    sounds like you need a steel VXT///it will throw the snow ALOT farther when doing drives and busting trails

3. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I honestly don't see the huge advantage for the VXT unless your in a location that sees snow measured in feet instead of inches.

4. ahlkey

ahlkey Junior Member

The Boss Forum was informative. Thanks.

In my Wisconsin area it is common to get 4-6 inches in a storm and maybe a foot of snow but only a couple of times per season. The problem is with my cabin since it could be weeks before I go there and then it could have accumulated maybe a foot or more of new snow. What I use now is a straight blade on the back of my tractor. If the snow is deep I just make two passes at it and then I am ok. I just am not familar with how the V-plow proforms for braking a trail and if the VXT models add that much. For $600 dollars more for the Poly I could buy a few nice things. Right now I am leaning toward just the V-version and if I need something I could possibly add some flaps or some of the modifications I see that others have done on the Boss forum. However, if anyone has experience in this area please set me straight.

5. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Doing your own stuff you will be fine with just a standard Steel V. Will be light years above the tractor with back blade.
    Robert

6. ahlkey

ahlkey Junior Member

Thanks. That was my thinking as well. At first I was thinking of just going a straight blade but for the extra dollars I thought the V option was justified but anything more was overkill.

Any problems with the fact that my F250 - V10 is a manual transmission?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Once you go V,you'll never go back.As rob said,a standard Boss V will be just fine.

8. lawnproslawncar

lawnproslawncar Senior Member

Don't go poly...but do spend the extra on the XT.

Our dealer has twisted up two poly's himself...he now has the steel.

9. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

the standard V will work just fine
    the manual tranny will be ok for what your doing......on resi's a manual sucks IMO

10. HEStufrthnnails

HEStufrthnnails Senior Member

I agree on the steal.But I would go the extra and get XT. The snow amounts in your area are a big factor. As the snow piles up that taller moldboard will allow you to throw it back farther to start with.And as the winter continues to clear the build you'll have on the shoulders.

11. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

IMHO i would say not to go poly if your going to have the possibility of hitting substantial sized tree branches or things of that sort as they can blow a hole right through the poly. ive seen it happen multiple times its the reason we dont buy them. i would say go steel

12. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Get the XT. It throws farther, has higher carrying capacity, and more moldboard to work with, which is always a good thing.

13. schockservices

schockservices Junior Member
    from ND

v xt and steel you will as the others say never go back to straight blades. im in ND so similar snow.

14. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

V for sure as you are saying you may open up logging roads periodically which sounds like you may be letting amounts build up a bit. V position will help tremendously at breaking open the middle. I have a standard steel V plow not the vxt model.

15. ahlkey

ahlkey Junior Member

I ordered the V and will have it installed early next week. We just got 4 inches of snow and more expected this weekend. By next week should have more than enough to test the plow at the cabin and some trails. Thanks for all your solid advice.