1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V plow tripping

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Honch057, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Honch057

Honch057 Junior Member

I am contemplating purchasing a boss V plow for my new F250. I have some concerns regarding the V plow not being able to trip in scoop or V mode. Can any of the V plow Vets here give me some real world scenarios about what happened when they hit some obstructions in parking lots and such. For instance high blacktop patches or corners of drainage grates. My concern is that I will not be protecting my truck or plow from damage. This has me wondering if I should go with the Fisher xtreme V due to it having the bottom trip. My truck isnt a beater POS and I would like to keep it as nice as possible. I will be doing mostly commercial lots with it this season with limited residential. One other thing i like about the fisher is that it self centers. Seems like a learning curve to go through in order to get that boss blade straight. Thanks for all the v plow vets input. Great forum here !.
  2. snowace

snowace Member

solid V

I have an 8,2 it will trip no matter what posistion it is in if you hit something hard enough.The only weekness was the center boot would break off if you hit smothing to hard but thay fixed that with the new wear bars. Over all the boss is a solid plow
  3. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Mine trips in the scoop position.
  4. payton

payton Senior Member

ive only tripped mine once. and it was in the v postion. so it tripping isnt an issue. as far as learning curve on getting the blade str8. just takes eye sight. you will know when its str8 or close to it. not that big of a deal.

and as said the new cutting edges eliminate the snow catcher/hoof/money pit.

5. Honch057

Honch057 Junior Member

Thanks for the reply guys. I assume your running your plows without the shoes on as well. My local distributor is trying to get rid of his inventory of old style edges. I will make sure if i get it that i will only get the new style. I was very concerned about what would happen if an obstruction was hit. Looking at fishers info, you would think that the boss plow would be immovable when an obstruction was encountered. The distributors comments were "just be careful"... Yeah right. I will be doing some sub work in areas i wont be familiar with and dont wont to learn the area the hard way.
  6. BobC

BobC Senior Member

I have never in 3 seasons of 10 acer lot site had the blade trip. I am sure it will!! In the scoop position I have had the pistons release pressure so plow could fold back as it is designed to do when I pushed against a hard pile of snow. I mark my lots especially the hazards and even doing sub work you should familiarize yourself with the jobs you will be doing. (Make notes and carry in truck. Everything looks different under several inches at 3am.)