1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V plow smart hitch issue

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by zlgreenscapes, Sep 21, 2015.

1. zlgreenscapes

zlgreenscapes Junior Member

Hello. Although I have searched this forum numerous times this is my first post. I have a v plow with the smart hitch. When I put the controller in float the smart hitch wants to pull the tower down towards the plow regardless if I hit the switch up or down.

I replaced the smarthitch valve, as it was giving me a weak reading. Also replace the entire wire harness bc it was getting weathered.

Looks like I have a good connection and cleaned off my grounds. Anyone have any suggestions before I spend anymore $? Can that smart hitch malfunction and only pull down? Not raising the tower at all. Pump runs strong and sounds like its not under a load, but wants to pull down toward the blade. Ive been lifting manually for the past year but getting tired of it in 2 feet of snow.

Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Have you tested the switch itself?
    I'd start there myself

3. zlgreenscapes

Yes the switch has power

4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Power going to it.... Going THRU it?

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No, have you tested the switch to make sure it's working in "up and down" position? Sending power in both directions when pressed

6. zlgreenscapes

It does have power going through it. It gets power in the up and down position. When you push the switch up It runs like you are pushing the smart hitch down. . .collapses the cylinder towards the blade. Unless the pins are locked on the mount of course.

7. mkelderm

mkelderm Junior Member

Are you talking when it's not mounted on the truck the rack folds down toward blades? If so, it's the coil. Had the same problem on many plows.

8. zlgreenscapes

yeah that's exactly the issue

9. mkelderm

mkelderm Junior Member

Replace the coil for the raise/lower cylinders. It's not magnetizing so the springs pull it forward.

10. zlgreenscapes

The hydraulic cylinder runs when you hit the smarthitch but will only pull the tower towards the plow. Will not extend the cylinder to push it up to the truck. So you have a part number by chance?

11. zlgreenscapes

I replaced the smarthitch valve but I'm still not getting magnetism. I'm about to hot wire it to make sure the new valve is good. Is that what you are referring to?

12. mkelderm

mkelderm Junior Member

The coil is what holds the cylinder/locks the valve, in position. It's a cheap and easy thing to replace. Since your not getting magnetism that's where you start. If that doesn't work it will at least hold it in position. It sounds like a coil and possibly another issue I have not experienced. I would try the coil before dumping to much more time and money on other things. The coil itself is universal on every generation boss I have replaced one on. Part number @ b&b is md-6301010... Coil - 10v. $21

13. zlgreenscapes

Awesome. Thanks.