1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V Plow? pump or motor runs all the time

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Bossman 92, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a boss 9'2" V that when we hooked it to the truck today it ran constantly after we tried moving it up or side to side. I hooked it to the truck and when I lift it up, it goes all the way up, then the pump or motor, (I don't know which) runs untill I unhook the large 2 wires. Same thing happens when I move either wing left or right.

Any ideas? It has to be the plow, because I hooked the same truck to 2 other plows and they worked fine.

Thanks Bossman

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Ether the controller or the solenoid is bad.

next time disconnect the controller if the pump stops running thats the problem, if the pump continues to run its the solenoid sticking.

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If the other plows worked fine it's not the controller. It is the wiring. Clean all the small pins and add dielectric grease and try it again. I don't think it is the solenoid either or the other plows wouldn't work.

4. koosh925

koosh925 Junior Member

I had the same problem it was a wiring issue in the plow side. I replaced the harness cause it was so old and it works just like new.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Any ideas? It has to be the plow, because I hooked the same truck to 2 other plows and they worked fine

WOW I missed that

I third the wire harness or connector plow side.

6. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Wow......I was signing on to post about this very same problem that started today. I just figured it was the solenoid "sticking" and replaced it. Haven't had a problem since, but I only had enough time to move the plow back a forth a couple times. Now I am worried the problem will come back while I am out pushing during a storm.

I will see if I can get it to act up again this weekend.

7. Jguck25

Jguck25 Senior Member

not sure if this helps, but i cant see how it can be that much different. I had the exact same problem with my fisher at the beginning of last season. I put a new solenoid on the truck side on it and it fixed the problem. Worked great all season and never came back

8. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I had this problem last season with my brand new plow.
    I replaced the relays a couple times.
    And it would come back every once and awhile while I was plowing .
    The motor would keep running but all the functions would work correctly.
    Turned out that my main connector would work it's way out a little during plowing and it would start acting up.

Push the connector back in good and all the way back in and it has been fine ever since.
    Not sure if that is your problem, but I assumed the worst and started changing things out and it was a simple problem.
    I use zip ties on it now to keep it secure.

9. Bossman 92

Well I just un hooked an 8'2" from this truck and it worked flawlessly. I put on the 9'2" and it runs constantly. I cleaned both of the connections on both the 2 wire harness and the larger harness, and slathered with dielectric grease with no luck. I pulled the black cover off the front of the plow and found where fluid is leaking out of the valve body (it looks like it's coming from around a large either bolt or nut on the passanger side.

So for the record, when you raise/lower/left/or right, the plow it goes then continues to run constantly untill you unhook the wires. And it doesnt matter which wires you unhook either, both the large 2 plug and the huge 13 wire bundle both kill the plow.

Thanks for any help

10. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

When I have crazy electrical problems I start with cleaning the grounds and reapplying dielectric grease.
    Since it only happens to this one plow I would start cleaning connections on it. Can't hurt anything. Especially if you already have the cover off.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

1) Clean, check and tighten the plow side ground(s)

2) Check the harness where it runs through the back of the light tower, make sure the grommets in good shape and the harness isn't cut or chaffed there.

3) Check the wiring on the rear of the SH switch for anything out of the ordinary, a dislodged connector or cut/chaffed wire or a bent switch terminal.

If it all looks good- disconnect the white/black wire at the SH switch, be sure it's also disconnect from the white wire that's piggy backed onto the same switch terminal and retest.

If it's still a no go replace the plow side harness.

12. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

There is a plow side repair pigtail you can get as well instead of replacing the whole harness on the plowside

13. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

Tried to duplicate the problem today, but no luck....however I did notice that sometimes my smarthitch would not push the tower up....you could hear the pump, but no movement. I would have to toggle the switch up and down for it to start working.

Thinking the switch might be going bad...and that may be causing the other problem.

When I replace it, I will let you know how it goes.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Pretty sure if it turns out to need wiring on the plow side it will need more than just the repair plug. Would've mentioned it otherwise. :drinkup:

15. Bossman 92

Well, thanks for all the help guys we got it fixed. Per B&B's instructions I took all the plow side connections loose and cleaned them then slathered with new grease, still the same problem. Next I pulled the wires that he said to pull with the same results. I was just about to give up but decided to try another controler (#2) (even tho the origional controler (#1) ran the other 2 plows fine) and it ran without any problems. I put #1 back on and it would not run at all. Switched back to #2 and it would work, but it would not return the drivers side wing. I pulled both controlers and cleaned the plugs and the plug on the truck side and re greased and now all works fine. I guess I had a bad connections between the controler and the truck side harness, it just seems odd that it worked fine while using the other 2 plows. IDK??

Again thanks for the help. Bossman

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

I suspected a controller issue from the beginning but once you switched trucks (and assumed controllers) ruled that out. But it is one of the main things that will cause the pump to stick although not simply due to a weak connection at the controller so I think you'll discover it isn't really fixed.

And to address it if it does arise again, when it sticks quickly disconnect the controller. If it stops immediately then the controller is faulty. So be sure keep a spare controller on hand as well.

17. Bossman 92

A new controler is on the list be be replaced.

Thanks Bossman