1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V-plow on a 09 Chevy 3500..not

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by jetfxr68, Dec 27, 2009.

1. jetfxr68

jetfxr68 Junior Member

We recently purchased a 2009 Chevy 3500 with a Boss 8'2" poly V-plow and are very unhappy with the ability of this truck to carry the Boss. Our F350s' and Dodge 3500 have about 8" between the tip of the wings(when retracted) and the ground whereas the new Chevy only has about 5". The Ford or Dodge very rarely contact the ground when driving in and out of parking lots but the Chevy contacts the ground all the time. Now, when I pull into the lots with the Chevy, I keep the blade straight but now the plow frame bottoms out through the dips.
    Does anyone know of a good fix for this? The Chevy dealer says that this is the best it gets and to deal with it.:realmad: Why can't Chevy build a truck with a better front end? We have never had these issues with our Fords or our Dodge. We couldn't pass up the price so we thought we would give GM a try.

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Just because it sags doesn't mean it's not going to hold up. You can probably turn your bars up a bit and put a set of timbren's in. Check the height of your mount it should be the same as your F350. The difference in sag shoould only be 1" between the Ford and GMC if set up properly. We've been running Boss 9'2's on our trucks since 98 and I couldn't be happier with the GMCs. I also have an 08 with a 9'2 Poly that is fine. I will admit you have to put your wings forward when going in a steep lot. Even my friend who has 2 350's has to do the same though. Not sure what the big deal is?

3. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

I basically don't ever drive around with my 9'2" in the V position - but I always figured the 8'2" would have been a different story.

Then again, I didn't buy a truck with an Inferior Front Suspension...

4. jetfxr68

jetfxr68 Junior Member

The big deal is the plow frame bottoming out and the dealer telling me to live with it....Never happened on any of our Fords. I will admit I am a Ford Man but the Chevy dealer gave us a deal we couldn't pass up and admittedly the truck is very nice. I am concerned that the Boss is just too much weight for the Truck.
    The dealer told me that if we turn up the T-bars any more, we will have problems in the off season when the plow isn' t on the truck.
    Does this make sense to you? Not sure of what problems they are referring to other than a rough ride.

5. TLB

TLB Senior Member

Just turn the bars back down after the season is over like most do ;)

6. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

Im surprised more people with those Boss frames dont bottom out. They are big and ugly.

7. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

And what position would someone with a Dodge,who's from Colorado drive around in with a Boss V who mistakenly thinks the IFS is inferior ,probably because you believe you need to ride higher to have a good suspension?I'm thinking maybe the scoop position so you catch more air to slow that Mopar beast down.:)

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Do you have enough weight in the back of the truck? Try driving in the drives at an angle and slow down a little. A 1 ton should be just fine with that plow on it. Maybe a little of this is because your such a Ford guy you convinced yourself this chevy just isn't up to par?

I have a Blizzard 8611LP on my 1 ton, it's heavy as sh!t. When I bottom it out I blame my stupid driving.

9. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

Some have had good luck with new super keys or sumos(like timbrens but better ride)

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I've never had problems with a mount bottoming out. Check the height of the mount it should be 15.5" to the pins. Turn your bars up a little bit and put the timbrens in. Your not use to the IFS give it time and keep an open mind. I just sold my 98 2500 last year and we ran a 9'2 Boss on that truck for 10 years and the front end except for tierods and 2 pitman arms is original. The guy that bought the truck is still plowing a full route with it. Look at my last post I gave you some idea's. I don't even have Timbrens in my 02 and it's been plowing since the fall of 01. But what do I know,

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

And yet you have 5,600 posts!:D

12. mike custom

mike custom Junior Member

when I made the appointment a few years back to get a 8' steel Boss on my truck the dealer asked me if it was going on a chevy and said it was because the chevy front ends sag like hell and boss prefers dealers to get 7.5's on them so to not beat the hell out of the front end. Im not saying they cant handle the weight, I'm just saying i drove an 05 chevy 3500 with an 8' poly Boss on it and a sander in the back and the thing was mushier than a dodge caravan. They can handle it, they just require more tenderness by the driver.

oh yeah and they get hung up on 6 inch snow banks.

13. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

For the OP: Since you only have 3 posts and a join date of this month, I'll assume you haven't read through the archives of about a million other posts showing how to make the GM front ends work better. I'm not trying to be curt, but there's a wealth of information already here that just requires you to spend some time reading. The GM trucks respond very well to cranking the t-bars up about 5 full turns for plow season and then crank them back down in the spring. Timbrens are worth every penny, but there are other brands out now too. My D-Max with 5 turns on the bars and Timbrens, plus 1400 lbs of ballast behind the rear axle (600 hangs off the hitch, the rest sits against the tailgate), handles an 800 lb plow beautifully. Here's a pic of the truck where you can see it barely squats the front:

[​IMG]

Don't feel bad about not liking the factory's setup, most "Chevy Guys" don't care for it in stock form either. Oh, BTW - your dealer is a twit. :drinkup:

14. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Most car dealers don't know the first thing about plowing, They have a deal set up with an upfitter company, chevy ships the trucks straight to the Plow dealers, then the chevy dealers just buy inventory from them. The only thing the most chevy dealers know is factory spec.

15. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

I had the same problem with my 2008 f250 with 8'2" I added timbrens and problem solved almost no sag now. good luck

16. JustinD

JustinD Senior Member

Put a set of green keys or keys from ready lift, it made mine sag alot less.

17. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

Try a pair of Firestone Level-Rite Bilstein shocks. They are designed for this particular application and you don't sacrifice GM ride when plow is unhooked. We put a pair on our '02 Crew Cab and absolutely love them!

18. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What do you mean it sagged? I can't even tell if Boss 8.2 is on the 08 and no problems with it.

19. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

same here and im using a 9.5 extreme v on a 08 F-250. The front end dont even budge with the plow up. wesport

20. ACCONSTRUCTION

ACCONSTRUCTION Junior Member

I just put a set of Sumos on my 2500hd and i can't tell the diffrence when the plow is off. It actually feels like the front end is tighter then it was new. I think the ride with the sumos is alot better then timbrens.