1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V Plow is shutting off my truck

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by sgrenier24, Jan 30, 2011.

1. sgrenier24

sgrenier24 Junior Member

I have a Boss 7.6 V plow mounted on a silverado 2500hd. Truck was purchased new as well as the plow last year. Truck amd plow made it through last year with no problems. This season when I lift the plow or move it to scoop it trips my tracon control light on my dash and eventually makes the whole dash lose power then shuts the truck down. It will not restart unless it is jumped. It will then run fine for a few minutes then it occurs again. The plow was installed by my local dealer who is a distributer for the state as well. Any suggestions as whats causing this problem?

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Bring the blade and truck down to the dealer and explain your situation. Most dealers will work with you and being it is new last year i would think they'd warrenty their work.
  3. sgrenier24

sgrenier24 Junior Member

I went to the dealer and they fixed tue ground and the problem is still occuring. We have been having storms one after another here and i am tired of getting stuck. They so far have been unable to diagnose the problem and I am looking to see if anyone else has had this problem and could guide me in the right direction.
  4. secret_weapon

secret_weapon Senior Member

Was the battery and alternator tested? I would start there if the truck stalls and has to be jumped.
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  5. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

Sounds like something is shorting out. You might want to check the Red/Black power cables on the truckside, the solenoid connecton and then the plowside power cables and gnd to the plow motor.
    When lifting the blade if you can read the voltage at both sides of the solenoid and the plow motor you be able to narrow it down.
    If there is a huge current draw the voltage drop will be higher through the wires. Pretty sure with ~12-13V at the battery I had around 11V at the motor which is kind of low but I did not fix the install I had done yet. Check If you read a big drop past the solenoid or real low at the motor.
  6. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Charging system Probably alternator. Check the voltage at the battery without a load with it running it should be around 14 volts, then load it with raising the plow depending on the condition of your battery it shouldnt get below 12 volts. If it remains charging well do a load test on the battery. Sometimes with a single battery and a lot of use without much driving time the battery cant keep up even if its relatively new.
  7. Woodenshoe

Woodenshoe Member

Run two batteries for sure with a Vee plow. Your Chevy/GM dealer should have a battery tray and mounting stuff to put a second one in on the passenger side.
    If your voltmeter drops while running the plow but recovers quickly, its the batteries. If it just runs low on voltage all the time (13v or less) then you may have alternator issues as well. Make sure the plow pump cables (positive and negative) go directly to the battery terminals, not the engine block or accessory terminal.
  8. Championized

Championized Junior Member

I was having battery problems a few years ago with my Boss 9'2" V on a 3500 HD. Before going to 2 batteries I tried an Optima Yellow Top deep cycle battery. Problem solved. Not a cheap battery, but a lot cheaper and easier than a second battery install.
  9. cecilmac

cecilmac Member
    from nj

Same thing just happened to me on a 08 3500 plow motor would stay on and drain the truck till it shut off. Long story short I took it to the dealer and it wads bad silonoid. Wtf..
  10. JCPM

JCPM Senior Member
    from CT

I used an Optima yellow top on my f350 gas with an 8.2 v and it was enough. I went to a large napa battery with 180 reserve minutes and it solved the problem without going to a duel battery setup.
  11. marylandbigb

marylandbigb Member

does truck start fine without the plow on it? on the firewall on passenger side near the battery is a black junction block pry off the cover and make sure the nuts are tight there this is a 175 amp maxi fuse that powers the truck and i have seen the nuts back off and at times will start fine but when u draw an excessive amount of current it drops out , making you think you have a dead battery. you say its a year old truck you can install a second battery fairly easy tray already there.
  12. sgrenier24

sgrenier24 Junior Member

Turns out the battery had a bad cell and was replaced under warranty. The battery was unable to charge fast enough to run the plow and the truck. New battery and everything runs fine now. Thanks for the suggestions.
  13. jklawn&Plow

Good to know. My 3.25yr old 2500HD battery is showing signes of weekness. I am going to napa for their best in same footprint. Had great luck with the last one on my 1500. Started with no effort in half the time.
  14. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Interesting thread as its always going to be the age old problem that most of us really just dont have enough alternator after we get all the lights and extra garbage strapped to the truck . True is it is amazing that the elec system does as well as it does! . If it was not for most of us; having big battery's to act as a ballast; we are actually asking the charging system for 2-3 times what it can actually handle, and compensate for. We measured the draw of a Fisher XV plow motor about a month ago, on a test bench, and it actually draws OVER 300 amps when you first hit the switch! I had a 130 amp Alt, and 1000 CCA battery. And with all the garbage I run; while plowing at nite; I was constantly losing voltage in the battery; as the Alt couldn't keep up . Enough that the rotation light would show itself slowing down significantly! We replaced the Alt with a 240 amp[at idle] HO custom one that requires a junk of #4 cable to transfer the huge amperage it puts out DIRECTLY to the battery and that problem is now SOLVED! No extra battery needed; just instant recovery!
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  15. jklawn&Plow

Definitley worth investing in both (bat-alt) for any setup. I hear those Boss plows are a lot more efficient electrically than the others though.