1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V-plow install

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by John DiMartino, Nov 9, 2001.

1. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Well i finally got my truck all done today,the plow is mounted,and everything is done.I have installed several Fishers,and Westerns in the past,this was my first Boss,so I was learning as I went.I am impressed with how well the Boss factory protects everything in the crate,excellent job,also the heavy parts are all in denim or burlap type bags,Im keeping these babby's for spare parts,they even have the pull string to close them.The entire install took me about 8 hrs,but I was taking several stops to take care of other things.From what Ive put on,I feel the Boss has great instructions,and the small parts box is excellent,has more than enough screws,nuts,zip ties etc,IMO.I feel the Fisher minute mount frame is much better mounted and stronger than this subframe.I truely dont know how this frame is going to hold up.The Fisher mounts higher,and tighter to the frame,making it stronger,especially with side loads of plowing,like full angle plowing.The boss hangs low,on thin plates,and the braces are long,and very close to the anti-sway bar.Thewiring harness is more complicated than the Fisher/Westerns,and takes up more room.I didnt like the fact that there wasnt enough wire to mount the soleiniod on the pass side battery,the drivers side battery is a tight spot with a Cummins,it is very crowded there,so I had to extend the new harness 5 ft to reach the other side.The one connector is huge,and much harder to snake thru the grille openings,and past the big intercooler than the small ones Fisher/western uses.Overall ,I ma pleased at this point,I am worried about a weld on the pass side blade,I will be taking it back to have it looked at.It is easy to pull off if i it needs to be replaced.This plow is very fast,unbelievably so,and seems to have very little amp draw compared to the Fishers.I cant wait to try it out now,it sure does mount up easy,no effort at all is what I like,Im used to wrestling with my others.My truck sags about 1 1/2-2" with it on,not bad at all considering i do not have the HD springs,or plow prep.I have only an inch before it hits the bumpstops.I have 039/038 springs,and have a set of 047/046 sitting at the shop,with them,I dont think it will even move an inch with it,it is definitely a heavy beast.i am glad I got the 9'2",it looks perfect on the truck,isnt to wide going down the road with both wings back either.It looked huge when I was putting it together!The Ram is so big ,it looks fine on it.Now all i need is some snow ,can't wait to try out.Going from a 7 1/2 straight blade to a 9'2" V I should be able to cut my plowing time quite a bit.
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I am not really familiar with the Boss subframes although I did a repair on one last year after a driver hit a stonewall. (not snowplowing) I always have thought the Fisher frames were really strong. I recently saw the new Diamond frame and am very impressed. It is like they have gone back and have influence from Fisher again.

Sounds like the install went pretty smooth. Wiring is always the tedious part of the job. If done right it will make a huge difference if you ever have any problems.

I think you will love having a 9ft plow on that truck.
  3. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

You will like that outfit John - what type of controller did you get.?Ours have the hand-held touchy controller, and they are just that - very touch but easy to use and no problems yet. You may want to set your wings before you drive up to the garage door!
  4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I got the joystick,it is touchy,I mounted it to my door,I had to bend the bracket they gave me,I mounted velcro on the side of the unit,where it lays on my door panel,instaed of using the padding suppied,the velcro keep it from wiggling as you move the controller.

Try the remote unit I think you would like it

Triton Snow Removal
  6. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

We used the Velcro trick too - stops it from wiggling and rattling in the bracket. My next project is to retrofit the two-year old pump with the newer side reservoir filler to make checking easier.