1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V Plow Hinge Repair (pictures)

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by merrimacmill, Dec 6, 2011.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

We were doing some cutting edge replacements on our plows and noticed something odd about one V plow, the hinge was separating. It appears someone hit something very hard with this plow.

The horizontal and vertical pins are both bent badly, the center bushing that is welded to the center piece was ripped right off, and the bottom eye for the hinge (made from 5/8" plate steel) was completely sheared off.

In my shop we have the capability to 100% of our repairs in house, so I didn't see a need for the expense of replacing the entire center piece due to this issue. So we machined a new bottom hinge piece which was cut into and welded onto the center piece, re-fit and welded the center bushing, and heated and re-aligned the top eye.

These are pictures from the project so far. I wanted to post these in case anyone else has the same thing happen, I thought they might like to find this in a search at some point.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  2. StratfordPusher

StratfordPusher Senior Member

Nice repair

Looks great, is likely better then factory now.....

3. jklawn&Plow

jklawn&Plow Senior Member

What kind of welding machine does this type of work MIG 220Vrms?
  4. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

Very nice repair, that will be very useful to someone needing to do the same repair.

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

Do you know who it was who hit something with it??? And do they still work for you? I would fire some one on the spot for not letting me know they hit something that hard.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I was the guy who came back into the shop that night with no front teeth
  7. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Good looking repair work.
  8. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Na that looks to be arc (stick)
    Probably E6010
    MIG (Metal Inert Gas) would be more uniform beads.

Did you weld both sides?
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  9. merrimacmill

from MA

I TIG welded that with my Miller Syncrowave 200. I have the machines and ability for stick, mig, and tig, but still I prefer TIG welding for this type of a repair because I am able to keep the weld bead size very small so it doesn't interfere with the wings, and it requires no grinding. Also, I always find myself more confident of the weld penetration with TIG as I can see it happening and can control the heat much more precisely with the foot pedal. This also lends to having better heat control to prevent any metal distortion from the heat (each of these welds was done in 4-6 sections to prevent distortion). I always TIG weld anytime I have a part that I can or at least feel like cleaning till its perfect. Not to mention, tig welds always just plain look way better.

I am now debating if I should make another plate that covers the bottom of this for extra reinforcement or if I should just leave it like this. I was planning on machining some of the thickness off half the plate so that it would sit flat on the backside despite the thickness difference between the Boss part and the part that I fabricated. The original is 5/8" and the new piece I fabbed is 1/2" plate. Opinions on this?

No I didn't weld both sides as I did not have access to the other side due to how the piece is designed.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  10. merrimacmill

from MA

The issue is I have no idea how long it has been like this. We noticed a slight separation in the hinge and started to pull the vertical pin and the whole thing just fell apart and we realized there was almost nothing holding the moldboards on anymore.

I have a few ideas who it could have been, and of all the people that have plowed with that truck only 1 still works for me. But I agree, if I found out when I knew who was driving it, and nothing was said to me, it would result in a firing.

Next the truck will be getting a go over, especially the mount area. In the past we have had incidents that sheared bolts that hold the truck side mount together.
  11. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

Kind of sticking up for the "guy" here. In my brilliant assesment of an issue a couple years ago, my top securing bolt came out, the one that holds the center hinge pin down, I just tapped it down with a big hammer, got a new bolt, screwed it in and went on my merry way as everything "looked" good while I was doing this outside in the freezing cold. Few minutes later at next stop I was back dragging and discovered what the real problem was. By then though I had ripped the center hinge from the frame and the little 3/8" plate on the top was all that was left holding everything on. Point being, the most experianced operator in the same truck and plow CAN and WILL make an error or miss something. Several times I hit something under the snow and thought that I should have had major damage with nothing and a little issue like this bolt backing out caused some major down time. Most people who plow snow realize that you can not afford down time because you make NO money. Employees should realize this as well, because if their machine happens to breakdown they won't work. I have found it to have been a good practice to encourage guys to keep logs in the truck if they thought anything might need to be looked at when they came back to the shop to get cleaned up, not that I was happy about repairs, just trying to keep them to a minimal by preventitive maintenance.
    Excellant repair work, need a welding job sometime there's one here for you! MUD
  12. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

By welding or adding thickness to the underside of the center section of the V plow there will be an effect on the wearability of the cutting edge.
  13. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

It looks to me like he used 1/2" plate instead of the 5/8" that was there?????
    Also since this piece is basically just holding the wings to the center and giving them pivot points, how will it effect the wear on the cutting edge? The cutting edge is on the ground and this part is or should be off the ground. MUD
  14. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

As the cutting edge wears down the bottom of the ceter section gets closer to the ground. The thicker the bottom of the center sectio the quicker that will happen. As expensive as those cutting edges are.....
  15. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

But, didn't he use 1/2" steel instead of 5/8", therefore 1/8" thinner??? MUD
  16. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

All I said was "By welding or adding thickness to the underside of the center section of the V plow there will be an effect." U] The key words in my comment was adding thickness. If you read the post thoroughly he is/was considering adding additionally to the bottom of the center section. We are often quick to criticize.

By the way we have worn into the bottom of center sections - thus the comment.
  17. Mr. Mud

Mr. Mud Member

I di not mean to sound criticizing. I was trying to comprehend what he haddone or was going to do. After about the 3'rd reread it is coming together now. It sounds as if another strength optioon he is trying to gain is by adding an additional thickness piece under the neatly done repair shown in the picture? Thus your referance to reducing the distance of the plow bottom to the ground, possibly preventing the extra 1/2" or so wearing of the cutting edge, right? Sometimes I just can't read! MUD
  18. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

I kind of have the same problem my center pin slid up a bit and now my bottom pivot point is bent and I cant get the pin to go back down.
  19. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

You got it. :)
  20. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

wow, we did the exact same repair just this week. Must be a design flaw, haha.

Ours doesn't look quite as nice, but serves the purpose. Well Done