1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V-plow handheld controller

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by rtm038, Oct 24, 2005.

1. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Hello all,
    If you are using a Boss V-plow with the handheld controller, how do you get the blade to angle right or left? Do you have to retract one wing and extend the other at the same time or is there a button on the controller that does it for you?

Thanks
    Ryan

2. snowtime

snowtime Junior Member
    from Ohio

I tried one out last year. You have to do each wing seperately. I hated it. I felt like I spent half my time moving wings around.

They should have a "straight" mode to save you the hassle. I hardly ever used the V or scoop modes at all.

3. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I find I can do it just fine.

From what I hear, it sure beats the snot out of other controllers.

SCOOP with one finger

VEE with one finger

ANGLE from L-R or R-L with two fingers.

The speed of the retract on a BOSS is second to NONE.

4. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

O.K. I thought if you pressed both left or right buttons at the same time, the wings would angle accordingly.

Ryan

5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Not quite sure what you mean there?

Press top two buttons at same time, it will scoop.

Press bottom two buttons at same time it will (VERY QUICKLY) retract to VEE position.

Press upper right and lower left and you will angle left

Press upper left and lower right and you will angle right.

Do any of these actions variably and you can put the plow in ANY position you can think of.

That make any sense?

6. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

That makes sense TLS. That is how I thought it worked. However, before posting this question, I thought it maybe operated like:

Press both top buttons- VEE
    Press both bottom buttons- Scoop
    Press the lower left- retract left wing
    Press the upper left- extend left wing
    Press the lower right- retract right wing
    Press the upper right- extend right wing
    Press the upper & lower left together- angle left
    Press the upper & lower right together- angle right

I guess I was right somewhat, just not the "angle" portion....

Thanks everyone
    Ryan

7. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Ryan, thats partially backwards and partially not the way it is.

[​IMG]

In the above picture look at the controller on the left.

Top two buttons are power to the wings going away (scoop) from the truck.

The bottom two simply release valves via solenoid and springs retract (VEE) them.

The center button is up/down/float.

And there is an on/off switch on the top.

The size and shape of the buttons allow you to press both top two and bottom two with your thumb. Great for scooping across a parking lot, hit the bottom two to make the blade straight, nudge curb, then lift up over curb to stack.

For angling (not used all that often) you tuck your thumb around the handle and use your index and middle finger to press opposite angled buttons resulting in an angle left or right of the blade.

8. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

Got it.......I meant to say "press both top buttons for scoop" and "press both bottom buttons for VEE".

Thanks
    Ryan

9. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

If it is an RTIII hit the middle of the side bottons and it will angle just as if it were a regular straight blade controler. No criss-cross two finger crap.

10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Care to explain that? Does your controller look like the one above? By doing what you say on the above controller, it will not angle like a straight blade.

11. rtm038

rtm038 Senior Member
    from NJ

After entering my last reply, I went to the Boss site to look at something else, but came across the manual for the Smart Touch handheld controller. According to the Boss website, fulltiltwill is right about the RTIII models.

Ryan

12. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Well I'll be a SOB!! :rolleyes:

Seems this is true.

Never thought to try it.

Never thought to read the manual.

Almost makes me like the BOSS even more!

Damn I feel like a smacked a$$! :eek:

13. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

TLS -

You're not the only SOB!!! ;)

I plowed like what you were doing for 1/2 year last year before I "accidently" hit both buttons on the side and, well I'll be, it angles just like a straight blade.

I went back to the shop where I'd bought it from, the guy didn't even know that would work. :dizzy:

14. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

To angle the blade left, push BOTH of the left buttons at the same time. To angle right, push BOTH of the right buttons at the same time. It looks like you are going to move the same wing in both directions, but it works. Put your thumb where the two buttons almost touch and push. As for the float, hold the down button down until the green light turns red, your now in float. As soon as you go to raise it, it will trun back to green.