1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V Plow fluid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by redhenny16, Dec 3, 2004.

1. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Does anyone know what type of fluid should be used in a Boss V plow pump? I would like to service it before winter really hits and I am considering using synthetic DextonIII atf. Is this a good fluid to use or should I use something else?

2. deluxeco

deluxeco Senior Member

Go buy Boss fluid you have an expensive plow don't get cheep on the fluid,plus I don't know if it's still under warranty but that could be an issue in itself.

3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Atf will work just fine, Barnes and Fenner both recommend atf in theri pumps.

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I've seen atf freeze before. I use ONLY Boss fluid. :nod:

5. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

SNOW PLOW OIL ONLY!!! A Boss Vee plow only holds two quarts. What does synthetic ATF cost, $4 a quart and the plow oil costs at most $5 a quart. Price a new powerpack for a Boss blade (if I remember right they are about $800+). I read somewhere that ATF is 11 times thicker than plow oil at -20*F!!

6. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Hydraulic Fluids

Boss Snowplow no where recommends regular or synthetic ATF as a replacement fluid for their power units.
    They recommend their high performance low temp hydraulic fluid or a hydraulic fluid that meets Mil. Spec. 5606
    These fluids are formulated to maintain constant viscosity from normal use in low and sub zero temps.
    They enhance pump performance and life, plus have a deicer.
    And don't worry about the differant color of the fluids either, it's just a dye.
    Why would you want to use anything else when there are products made for this type of use.
    :rolleyes: John.................