1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss v plow falling apart

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by nascar, Feb 18, 2010.

1. nascar

nascar Junior Member

I bought a Boss 8.2 VXT in November and had it dealer installed. I really like the way it plows, it is amazing. My issue is that it is falling apart. First plow I lost a cutting edge bolt and the plow seemed loose on the a frame and kind of flopped back and forth and the right side hung low. Dealer put a new bolt in and said the plow will loosen up and the flop is normal. I adjust the headlights and and they wont stay aligned, which I cant understand, but figure they just figure it is the changing weight of the truck with the accumulating snow in the bed and underneath. We have plowed 5 storms or so here in Ohio. So today I take the plow off and find a different cutting edge bolt loose, the nut is missing from the rubber plow angle alignment pad, and the horizontal hinge pin where all the plow flop is coming from, spins in the head unit when the pressure is off the plow. The a frame pin, the one with the new bolt retaining system is so loose the tower has rubbed all the paint off the a frame. I mount plow back up on the truck and notice the the airdam on the bumper is moving when the plow locks in place, as I work the tower switch back and forth I find the undercarriage mount is moving and all the bolts have worked loose on the crossbeam. Is this typical of a Boss plow or is this an installation issue. I would think a plow that did not touch the ground until january 7th of 2010 would be in a little better shape less than 45 days later. I am not here bashing I just need to know who to take my issue up with.
  2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

With your dealer for sure.Isn't it obvious he isn't tightening your hardware?Give him hell.
  3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Some of your issues are from a poor install by the tech, poor dealer communication for not explaining that all fasteners need to be first checked after a few uses, thus it's also partially your fault for not doing so. So in essence you're all at fault in one way or another.

Locktite and a torque wrench are your friends. :salute:
  4. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

Def. dealer issues. I have a 8'2" V that I have had 1.5 seasons. So far no issues.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Just another reason I do the installs myself. Everything gets either anti-seize or locktite and somethings get both. Antiseize on the shank and locktite on the threads.
  6. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

well nascar i'm in central ohio and i'm sure our serial numbers are close as mine has been fine ive had to readjust my headlights once in the year i have had it your dealer being in dayton is probably mr plow??? i installed my own and the only problem i had with it was i bent my a frame on a curb after about 20 hours straight

also what kind of terrain are you plowing??? if that much stuff is coming loose "MAYBE" it is how you are using it not judging but just trying to get a feel of how and were you use your plow
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  7. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Yep def sounds like a crapy install. Tighten every nut and bolt on the plow, use loctite as mentioned above and use an impact wrench on the cutting edge bolts and push beam bolts. That's what I have always done on my own installs and Ive never had any problems with 4 self installs in the last 2 seasons. good luck
  8. nascar

nascar Junior Member

Well my dealer tried to tell me it was not warranty or their install. Said the chassis mount will move when you are operating the plow from the tower that it is putting force on it more than when plowing. Said the cutting edge bolts were loose because i had been plowing hard with it the knick in the cutting edge cause the bolts to stretch. Said the horizontal pin is supposed to rotate freely. Said I must have had some ice behind the plow center that broke the bolt off the angle adjustment pad. Said he would see if he could extract the bolt but he could not absorb the cost of fixing it. Said we have had a pretty extreme winter here and that it had nothing to do with the install and there was probably nothing I could have done about it to keep it from happening. So if it is not his fault and it was not my fault and boss wont cover it i guess I need to ask the old lady down the road if she had anything to do with it.:laughing:

So I called BOSS and he said " The broken bolt is definately warranty, we will take care of it." So what I have learned today, BOSS is at the mercy of their dealers when it comes to customer retention, my dealer does not like to do warranty work because they probably don't get paid the same rate as customer pay, and I will be looking for a new dealer for all my future purchases and work.

And no it was not Mr Plow, I will not post who it was, I will tell if someone needs to know, but I will not put it to the public. I will be taking names of places local to me that would be able to accept my business with the understanding that warranty is warranty whether you like the pay or not.
  9. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Boss has a great reputation for customer service. Your dealer sucks....... sorry but that's the problem.
    Ask around for a reputable dealer in your area and go there. Unbelievable how folks can lie right to your face. Hard winter did it :laughing::laughing: That's excellent!
    Hope you get it all fixed under warranty like you should! :drinkup:
  10. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

And no it was not Mr Plow, I will not post who it was, I will tell if someone needs to know, but I will not put it to the public. I will be taking names of places local to me that would be able to accept my business with the understanding that warranty is warranty whether you like the pay or not.

I completely understand where youre coming from but on the flip side would you want someone going through the same bad experience you did because nobody would be honest about the business and how it chooses to operate?
  11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

No different than any other product or manufacture. The dealer is the end image of the product/manufacture that the customers sees but unfortunately some are just a little less than lackluster. And when there's any doubt, call the manufacture directly, whoever it may be.

You definitely need a new dealer. :nod:
  12. timberjack

timberjack Member

I was doing a service on my truck yesterday, and decided to retorque the mount bolts and check everything over in the nice weather.

Frame bracket mounts took a little tightening, but nothing really spectacular. Where i found similar problems to your mount was seeing my crossbar had some visible paint scarring on the inside of the brackets, where it obviously was moving slightly.

I checked the 1/2" bolts, they were torqued fine, but upon removing them see that the holes are a good bit larger then the bolts. Not quite 9/16" but big enough they they wobble in place. In fact they kind of wallowed out the holes just slightly, but a die grinder trued them up again. I found that 14mm bolts fit perfectly, and wished i had noticed this earlier.

I replaced them all with 14mm bolts, and they snugged up well. Don't try to put (4) 14mm bolts in a row at each "flange", they fit, but there's no way to get a socket or wrench on them. In a fit of overkill, (i hope) i put 1/2" bolts in the remaining 2 holes at each flange, making for (8) 14mm bolts, and (8) 1/2" bolts total on the crossbar. The 1/2" bolts can be tightened with sockets from each side, and probably a slim box end wrench.

Hope you get your other problems sorted out, and sounds like you need a new dealer for sure. I'd have no one to blame, since i did the install on my truck myself. :eek:

But definitely check your crossbar bolts, if they're loose tighten them, but see if there's room for a bigger bolt too. Mine were tight, but still had enough torque on the crossbar to move it in the brackets. Also only had my plow sine November, about 10 hours of use so far. Guess the next job will be to look over the plow itself, and retorque all the bolts on it too.
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  13. ihdriver7088

ihdriver7088 Senior Member

well nascar im glad to hear that BOSS is working with you that dealer should be banned from selling boss or any equipment he sells thats just a shady dealer in my book

and about 35 miles south of dayton in wilminton ohio is JD Equipment i deal with them on my plow at thier marion ohio branch and seem to be prety good so far
    and also heard mr plow is a very reputable dealer too
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  14. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

I dont know if its any other plows but for one thing i hate boss plow lights they drive me crazy! They move out of alignment, then they're worthless i rather get halogens for the truck and be done!
    Also i had the same problem with that one bolt the dealer "fixed" mine! You guys need a weingartz! They are awesome! :drinkup:
  15. elecblu

elecblu Member

I would like to say that i have gotten excellent service from Brian at "Custom Way Welding" in New Carlisle, Ohio 45344. I normally do my own repairs, and if i couldn't figure out my problem by listening to "B&B" I found Brian to be just as good with BOSS plows. I originally bought my first 8'6'' v from Mr. Plow, but found custom way to be more customer friendly. i now have 2 8'6' v plows
  16. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

You should absolutely start a new thread about the dealer to make sure noone else goes their and wastes their time and hard earned money. I have been beating on my Boss V for three years and have had no issues. It's rare I hit a curb or anything but I stack parking lots 10' high all day long with no trouble. Sorry about your experience.
  17. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Find a new dealer, for sure. A couple of days ago I was doing some clean up, just taking it easy. I noticed a small amount of wobble on my blade. Because of some of the posts on here, I decided I better have a look. Sure enough, the washer broke off on the HORIZ HINGE THREADED PIN. No rhyme or reason as to why...I shot over to the dealer, they got me in and replaced the pin. No discussion, they just took care of the problem. Only problem I've had thus far. While it was there, they made a few other adjustments and I was on my way. I didn't pay or even do any paper work...They just handled it, can't ask for more than that.
    I've been running my VTX since the beginning of last season and I would buy another one in a heartbeat. I love this plow!!
  18. nascar

nascar Junior Member

I really hate to tell who on an open forum, but at this point I dropped the plow off and left it said they would call me when it was fixed and I could come back and they would retorque the truck. No call yesterday and I call this morning and they are closed. We have snow coming and now I sit with no plow, if they could not get to it they should have called and said to come get it till they can get it in. I am beyond upset.
  19. Rain Man

Rain Man Senior Member

I am going on my 4th season with a 9'-2" boss v and a 8'-2" boss v and have only only had to replace a couple of springs. Love them!
  20. ejb40

ejb40 Junior Member
    from ny

how many times r u going to put yourself thru a headach with thisplace just get it to another dealer callboss and describe your problem with these hacks and ask boss get me a name of another dealer please, my boss dealer is excellent , never had any problems at all good luck hope things workout