1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss v-plow electrical problem!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jsydow, Jan 12, 2005.

1. jsydow

jsydow Junior Member

I am having a problem with my boss v-plow! When I go to raise my plow it pulls so many amps that it kills the engine on my 87 GMC! Especially when I am pushing up a pile! I changed the alternator thinking that was the problem. Then I changed and checked all my battery connections again. No problem there! The alternator is charging the battery OK. Checked the fluid in the plow it was fine! I put a 100 amp alternator which is the biggest they make for that model! Don't know what else it could be? What is the maximum amps the plow should pull? Has anyone ran into similar problems, or know how to fix the problem?

2. Bldrs83

Bldrs83 Member

It dosen't matter how many amps the plow is pulling, the alternator won't kill the engine by its self, the belt wouldn't hold. Your truck is an '87 which was the first year for fuel injection on that model, sounds like there might be a problem with a connection on the ECM or a ground problem that might be interupting power to the ECM or electric fuel pump when the plow is taking alot of power but I just don't know what it could be.

3. snooker

snooker Member
    from Zone 7

I had similar problems. Turned out my battery went bad and it started sucking so much power that it was killing the engine. If you haven’t already, you should check all your ground connections.

A 100 amp alternator is not very big. And unless it’s running at a fairly high rpm, it’s probably putting out much less than a 100 amps, maybe 40-50 amps at idle. Seems like someone was talking about a plow-motor under a load could draw 150 amps. If that’s the case, the electrical motor on the plow will draw the other 50+ amps from the battery. If you’re using a starting battery, it may be getting drained too low (and thereby damaged) by the use of the plow. It only takes a few total discharges do ruin a starting battery.

I was thinking of going to a 200 amp alternator, but since I installed dual Optima Yellow-Top batteries, those problems went away. I’d suggest either a higher capacity after-market alternator or a dual battery setup. At the least, you should get one of those Optima Yellow-Top batteries or the NAPA equivalent.

4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

A 100 amp alt. and single battery is all you need. Thats all I have in two of my trucks and never have any problems. I do large lots that take 4 to 5 hours to plow.

5. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Does your lights also dim? (a lot), if so check the battery it may not be holding a good charge and need replaced. This is comman on batteries over 4 years old.
    if the battery is old and not accepting a full charge then when you run the plow motor it draws down the voltage in the battery far enough to cause low voltage to the trucks CPU which inturn could cause the truck to die.
    This is 1 option.
    also for plowing I have changed the pully on my altenator to a smaller one so it will put out a higher amprage at lower RPM.

6. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Load test your battery. Sounds like its shot.

7. redhenny16

redhenny16 Senior Member

Load test your battery, it should stay above 9 volts with a load on it. If system voltage drops below 9 volts on an EFI GM it will die. It could also be that your plow motor is drawing to many amps.

8. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

When a put my Boss on the first time this year and lifted it ,the lights all most went out , it was pulling my volt meter down to 8-9 volts . I had the alternator and battery checked and the battery was weak , put a new one in and it has been fine since then.

9. alexmetro

alexmetro Junior Member

Did you find a resolution with this? I have had the same problem few times 2 seasons ago. Last year more often, tried new battery, new cables etc.

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: I wonder?? last activity in this thread was over 2 years ago...lol;)

11. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I had a similar problem some years ago. It turned out to be a bad ground. I have run a Boss V on this particular truck with a 60 amp alternator for 6 years without any problem. One of the accounts done by this truck takes 2 to 3 hours.