1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss v plow 8 2 or 9 2

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by lashom35, Jul 11, 2009.

1. lashom35

lashom35 Junior Member

I'm in the market to buy a boss. I'm debating the 8 2 vs 9 2 v plow. It will be running on 07 chevy 2500 crew cab duramax. I'm concerned that the 9.2 might be too much for the truck. Have you guys had good luck with the larger plow? Thanks in advance for your advice.

2. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Get an 8'2", You will regret the 9'2" unless your JUST doing large lots, all depends on what your doing plus a 3/4 ton truck isn't great for that large a plow, I would only put a 9'2" on a 1 ton truck or larger good luck

3. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a Western 8'6" MVP and the factory wings for it. It is on a 2004 CC, DA Dually.

I just bought a 2500 CC DA and I'm thinking about putting a Western Wideout on that.

If I were you I would go with the 9'2" and a Poly if you can get it.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

What are the differences in the front end on a 2500 and 3500 Chev.?

5. lashom35

lashom35 Junior Member

My lots are 70% commercial and 30% residential. I currently have a 2005 duramax but I will be upgrading to a 2007 or 08 before the season. I'm worried that the 8 2 will be too small but the 9 2 is way too much for the chevy frame.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2009
  6. Medicjdl

Medicjdl Member
    from 02893

I have an 8'2" on my 2005 Chevy 2500HD and it is heavy. I might suggest the 8'2". But that's just opinion. I am by no means an expert

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Running an 8.2 on a crew cab with 70% commercial is a waste of money you will soon discover. So, you'll either then be upgrading to the 9.2 in the end or adding 60 more lbs to the 8.2 with a set of wings anyway to cover the short comings of the 8.2 on a crew cab in a commercial application. The truck will handle the weight fine, you just have to set it up correctly to do so.

Bigger is better.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I bought a 98 from JD Dave last year. It has a 9'2" on it and had it since new. He also has a 2002 and 2007 both Dmax's with 9'2" and the 07 is a Poly.

Maintenance and a grease gun is your best friend.

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

What would you do to help out the front end. I know turn up the torsion bars and add Timbrens but is there anything else, even if it costs a few bucks. Thanks

10. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

Cranking the T-bars is only marginally "helping" the front end, and timbrens aren't helping beef it up at all. These tactics are simply reducing sag in the front end.

Beefing up comes from springs, and hardware, though I know very little about chevy's. Be weary when upgraded these as you may be putting 1ton+ loads on other 3/4 ton components ie, steering,brakes, axles, etc etc.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There is ABSOLUTELY NO DIFFERENCE in the front suspension, steering, front drive, or front frame components between a 2500HD and a 3500. Even the FAWR's and T-bar specs can be identical depending on individual options and cab configurations.

It isn't even the suspension that needs "beefed"...it's the steering. Swap the wimpy undersized stock tie rods, pitman arm, and idler for good HD aftermarket stuff (Cognito for example) and add the upper control arm mount gussets to the frame (been covered many time here in the past, do a search) and run the correct ballast....and then hang any size plow on it you're willing to take responsibility for it'll hold it just fine.

12. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

See I really don't know bowties that well, pardon my ignorance then what is the main advantage of even getting a 3500 simply towing #'s and rgwr?

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks B&B.
    I knew the front ends were the same on the 2500 and 3500 that's why I asked the question. I love it when people say you can't put that plow on a 3/4 ton you need at least a 1 ton.
    I have been reading on Dieselplace about the front end parts from Cognito. My truck is 1 month old. I would hate to take brand new parts off to put better ones on.
    I have seen the posts and even the pictures you posted of the gussets. It would be great if you could post a real size templete of the gussets.

Thanks.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yep, you gain 700 lbs of GVWR and 2000 lbs of GCWR and that it. It's all in the numbers, nothing more nothing less.

15. Chrisxl64

Chrisxl64 Senior Member
    from CT

I'll stick to my Ford's. At least we get different plastic blocks,hahaha.

16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes many people have the misconception that there's this huge difference structurally between the two but it isn't so. And those numbers that are slightly higher don't even help you as far as for a plow application anyway, because it doesn't address the FAWR.

I'll work on a full size template pic for the frame gussets. Or I can just send a set of gussets ready to go.

18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

USPS. What would a set be worth? Any idea on shipping costs to Canada?

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Shoot me a PM for info Cet.

No point in cluttering up a thread with frivolous details. :D

20. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry to hijack your thread lashom35. I'm sure most of the info was pretty help full for you.

I would still get the 9'2" LOLwesport

And make it a Poly.