1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V or wideout plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by yardsmith, Dec 29, 2011.

1. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

hey gang did some searching but didn't really find what I was looking for.
    I already have a boss V 8-2 with pro wings on my backup plow truck, but have a 9-2 for my newer truck I recently got, & haven't got to use it yet. I am still a solo operator at this point; my son will be able to help out later in the season as another driver.
    I'll prob use the 9-2 this year but wondering with all the variety I have in lots, I'm thinking about the 8-2 on the one truck & looking towards a wideout on my main truck, that way I can fit driveways AND use on bigger lots. I know the V doesn't clean as well on my bigger lots & doesn't bust into windrows as well as a straight plow. The 9-2 won't fit into alot of driveways I have.
    Ideally I'd use the older truck for the driveways & newer one for big lots. I still need a little bit of both in one plow for now, however.
    Anyone used both plows before??

2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

What do you mean about bust into windrows

I run Vplows and Str8 plows If you plow right with V plow shouldnt be no windrows I never windrow I'm in scoop mode 90% of the time

My str8 plows When they windrow and cant move the windrow any more I'll come in scoop mode and push windrow up

I rather have a V plow its 3 plows in 1
    Your plow must not be set up right if its not cleaning well in big lots
    For driveways you might want get a Rear pull plow

3. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

on bigger lots if I scoop all the time then I have to go over the lot 2-3 times due to all the dribblings. If I windrow, I usually only have a few straggler lanes that need tidied up.
    I am referring to the end edge of the parking lot, or a building-up windrow. My v can only windrow the last pass so high. If I try & bust into it & throw the snow over a little more, it just pushes the truck sideways a bit. When I would hit it with my old meyers it would move the windrow over a little & make the cleared area a foot or so wider than before.

4. SDLandscapes VT

SDLandscapes VT Senior Member
    from Vermont

I ll chime in on this--first some background

I was a foreman for a company in Mnpls/St Paul MN--we had western MVP's, straight plows both pro and pro plus (also had a few sets of pro wings)

I am from--and currently live and work in north western VT. This is fisher country--I have a friend with the XLS (similar to wideout though I feel wideout is better)

There is no comparison especially if you live in an area of heavy snowfall--I would take the wideout every day of the week--and i would have it on a minimum of a 1 ton. I felt the MVP's we had were light and did a lousy job of scraping, an even lousier job of backdragging, and I really didnt feel that the scoop mode gave you much if any advantage (especially on an 8' plow) the performance of the xls however is notable--backdrags better even with no backdrag blade, scoops and furrows, well beyond the V plow's capabilities for clearing and furrowing off roadways--just an all around more productive plow.

The situation where I feel the V would outperform the wideout---long isolated residential driveways with large drifts--really can t beat V mode for punching the first pass

5. A&LSiteService

A&LSiteService Senior Member

I have two wideouts, one on an f550and the other on a 3500srw. I can honestly say that these are the most productive plows I have ever used. In big open lots they can't be beat and doing drives it is nice to be able to adjust the size of the blade. Another nice feature with the wideout is being able to move the plow left to right while it is in the scoop position unlike a v plow that you have to angle the truck. I can also tell you that wideouts can take a pretty good beating, I know I have put mine through the ringer... And it they have never let me down. I hope this helps you out, have a great seasonThumbs Up

6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Just Curious.....Why is the Wideout Better than an XLS????.....The Only Difference is Full Trip verse Trip Edge.....So in your Opinion Full trip is Better than trip edge...I guess i cleared this up for myself.........Thumbs Up

I have seen this Gentleman Plow with his Wideouts in Person....He is a Plowing God....The Wideout is a VERY productive Plow and this Fella Proves it.....:salute:

7. A&LSiteService

A&LSiteService Senior Member

I have seen this Gentleman Plow with his Wideouts in Person....He is a Plowing God....The Wideout is a VERY productive Plow and this Fella Proves it.....:salute:[/QUOTE]

Thank you sir, but it was you who showed me how to be that productive with expandable wing plow...As long as I don't put snow by the fence, and have to move it for a second time:eek: