1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V or Western V?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by NCat496, Mar 29, 2008.

1. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

I am looking to buy a V blade soon and I am stuck in the middle of both which one should I go with and why?

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

no..no.. wait ... get that one over there.

more info.

what, where, why
    What size?
    What are you going to plow?
    where are the dealers?
    who has the best support?
    which one matches your truck?
    Are you plowing commercially?

What do you like about eather one.

What are the prices?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2008
  3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Ditto to SnoFarmers questions....;)

4. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with Farmer. it all depends on what you are doing. But if i had to pick i would go with a Western V. I like the trip edge feature. If Boss had the same, i would go with a Boss all the way.

5. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

I agree with Quality . I like a trip edge V plow so my choice would be western. If Boss made a trip edge V plow I would choose a Boss.

6. ServiceOnSite

ServiceOnSite Senior Member

im gonna tell you word for word what a western install tec saidafter i bought my boss. i told him that i was got my boos instead of the western that i was going to buy. he asked how much i paid, how i liked it blah blah blah. i asked them why dont they sell boss plows.

" why would we sell someting that dosent break?"

if that dosent answer your question i dont know what does.wesport

7. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

go with western with the trip edge.

8. Quality SR

I wonder is Boss will ever make a trip edge V. When you hit something in V or scoop what happens? Does the blade bounce up?

9. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I own both a Boss V and Western V (and a Hiniker V). I have 99% of my hours this winter logged in the truck with the Western. Love the trip edge, the user friendly controller and when I back drag it seems to scrape better.

I'm not going to trash Boss though because it's never let me down. The only part I've ever broken on it was the snow catcher. Not a difficult fix and pretty inexpensive.

10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

Quality;
    Yes the plade trips in V and scoop. When in scoop and the blade trips, as it trips the blades get pushed back to a strait blade.

11. Quality SR

When your in Scoop the blade gets pushed to straight when you hit something? How fast does that happen? If your in a full scoop how long does it take to go straight then trip? What about the V position? Is it the same thing? I think i would still prefer a trip edge on the blade. That is just me. I know when i hit something the blade goes right down and then pops back up. I cant see the blades going back to straight then tripping.

12. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

everytime I hit something like a manhole cover or a parking block with a Boss V in scoop it just stops the truck dead in its tracks. My brother stopped so hard once one of the plow headlights snapped right off the base.

13. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

How fast? faster than I can work a stop watch. As fast as the blade trips is how fast the blade stratens out.

It trips for me however even though it trips it still stops the Jeep short!!

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it's doing it every single time then either the wing reliefs are set too high or the trip springs are too tight...or a combination of both.

99% of the time they should trip when they need to when properly set up..it's the other 1% that will get ya.. ;)

15. Quality SR

Thats what i figured it would do. At least a full trip it would be a little lighter of a hit. But i would want that with a V.

16. Quality SR

I wonder if Boss will make a V with a trip edge. I mean they have a stright blade with it.

17. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

I see that you have a boss v blade, why should i go with the western? what dont you like about the boss?

18. twgranger

twgranger Senior Member
    from .

heres why. Dont like the full trip design, if you ask me its WAY to hard on the plow and truck. Its like the blade dont trip far enough or something because when it does trip you better be wearing your seatbelt or you will be going threw the weindsheild!!!!!! It puts you to a dead stop.http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=60085

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

They all break when you hit stuff hard enouf..

I prefer a full trip to a trip edge.
    A trip edge can get jamed up with ice or gravel and not reset.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  20. Tuxx

Tuxx Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Here is some info on this subject.
    Dan

Attached Files: