1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V or Fisher V plow pro's and con's

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RJC, Jun 18, 2001.

1. I am preparing to buy a new plow and am impressed by both the Boss Vee and Fisher Vee plows. Cost difference aside, can anyone give me the pro's and con's of these two plows?

2. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

FISHER V-PLOWS

I can only speak about the Fisher since I've never had a Boss. What I consider a plus is the heavy duty construction of the plow and the trip edge design . I guess having always used Fisher plows the trip edge thing just "feels" correct. The other good thing about Fisher as opposed to Boss is the nearest dealer to me is 10 minutes from my house. The nearest Boss dealer is about 75 miles away :((this of course may be the exact opposite from your situation) . From what I've heard on this board is the electronics of the Boss are VERY FAST, on the Fisher they are what I would describe as adequate, or very user friendly . I have had some electrical problems with the plow, however this may have to do with the fact that this was a self-installed unit. That brings me to the other downside of the Fisher, the dealers are VERY ANAL about what they will and will not install this plow on (%$@:*\~ lawyers)! This may also be true for Boss plows as well. My .02, I would go with the plow with the best dealer support in the area.

3. Bryan

Bryan Senior Member

boss "v" vs. fisher "v"

RJC, I would agree with many on board, that parts availability and a having a quality dealer in your area would take presence over price alone. Both are very good plows, it would depend on the truck you are putting the plow onto as well. The Fisher "V" tends to be more weight than the Boss "V" but both have great features and controls. Both manufacturers offer a trip edge "v" plow with Fisher having more experience in the market with this technology. Probably the biggest factor you should consider is the dealer nearest you and are they going to be there when you need them. Do they carry a good stock of parts? If possible try to view both personally and judge for yourself which is better constructed for what you want to do with it and will the plow do what you want it to. Boss also offer a non trip edge "v" that many will view as good or bad. There are also many here on the board who own both and have used both, they would be very good people to ask the pro's and con's.

4. I will be putting the plow on a 2001 F350 SRW Diesel.

5. boba

boba Senior Member

Boss vs Fisher V plows

I run a fisher v on a 2000 Ford F350 psd srw and the boss 9.2 on a 1999 Ford F350 psd drw dump. Both plows have performed well. The boss angles faster than the fisher. Both easy to hookup.

As others stated parts availability and service are important when selecting one over the other.

6. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I like Fisher Hands Down.

I Have 2 of the 8.5's wish they were 9'. I am run 4 9.5's on F 550s.

No Problems, built tough.

Geoff

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

We have 3 Boss full trip V's right now. Overall they are good plows, but they do have their problems. They will crack around the hinge which is quite easily repaired, the wings will twist when an obstruction is hit so you lose some of your angle. Bryan is right, the hydraulics are very fast. I have not seen any info out yet on their trip-edge V. Their trip-edge straight blade is out. Having said all this, we will be putting a Fisher V on our next truck, which will hopefully be this year, becasue of the trip-edge and Fisher's experience with it.

8. Deere John

Deere John Senior Member

We have two Boss vee's - one is two seasons old, the other was a virgin last October.

Both are Smartlock-equipped with the handheld controls. No problems.

Many here will tell you that the Boss plows will not trip. That is not true! The old plow tripped about 6 times last winter, and mine tripped 3 or 4 times.;) I figure the trip springs will last about 120 years.

9. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Lets set a few things straight.
    Boss does not and will not have a trip edge V plow in the near future. I spoke with the head boss man in Baltimore in March, and they just dont believe in the idea of a v and trip edge design.
    Boss does make a trip edge straight plow, and it was designed just for the New England market where fisher and diamond have a deep foothold.
    Second, Fisher has an issue with bending the backer plates where the angle cyl, attach to the moldboard. I have seen at 15 with this problem both 8.5 and 9.5 models.
    So I would go with a western, even tho the majority of the plow is a twin to the fisher , there is enough different to make it better IMO. Add the ultramount into the fray, and you have a very good plow.
    Dino

10. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames