1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V on 1997 Ford F-250 HD Powerstroke?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Mj's Lawncare, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Mj's Lawncare

Mj's Lawncare Junior Member

Hi guys i'm new to the plowing scene. I've been using a bobcat for snow removal on my lots but need a more efficient setup. I own a 1997 Ford F-250 HD Powerstroke which i will be using to plow. A friend of mine has for sale a Boss V-plow in "like new" condition" currently mounted on a 1996 Ford F-350. I believe its an 8' or 9' plow. My questions are:

Is that mount compatible with my truck?
    Can my truck handle this plow well?
    Is $3500 reasonable for everything, lights, mount, controls, plow?
    Will i need to upgrade my truck suspension? My truck sits slightly lower in the front, and the bumper rubs my oversize tires slightly the way it is. Here's a link to a pic of my truck.
    Thanks guys!

http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v299/175/32/1042430106/n1042430106_30095180_1035.jpg

2. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Well if the plow is really in like new condition, that's a good price. One of the dealers on the site will see this thread and tell you if the mounts and wiring are compatible. Get new shocks, a set of timbrens, and crank the T-bar up a bit and you'll be set

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Without seeing the plow it's tough to say if it's worth $3500. My gut instinct tells me that it's probably not since it's mounted on an old truck.

The best way to know for sure is to snap a pic and post it on here. You'll get a lot of very honest opinions of the plow's true value.

Secondly, your truck should be able to handle a 8'2" Boss. I've seen those plows mounted onto many 3/4 ton trucks before. Like the guy above me mentioned, add some timbrens and you should be set to go.

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Mount and wiring are a direct fit for your truck.

Suspension may need an upgrade or two.

Need to find out for sure what size the plow is (7.6, 8.2, 9.2).

And some pix will help to "guesstimate" the value.

5. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

the 90s fords like that have sold front axles and leaf springs just thought id let you know that. ford makes a pretty decent front end just make sure the lock outs on the 4 wheel drive work the hubs go bad sometimes get broke and what not

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Actually Mj's F250 would be TTB...not solid axle. Just thought I'd let you know that. :D

7. Mj's Lawncare

Thanks guys for the input, just have a few more comments/questions. The plow is a 9' 2", I will get my friend to take some pics. My truck doesn't have the same axle as the F-350, the F-350 has like a solid piece running across the front of the axle. The truck has leaf springs, pardon my ignorance but what are timbrens?

8. KGRlandscapeing

mike my 96 250 has a solid one [​IMG]

9. KGRlandscapeing

it sure looks like it came that way but then again the front fender on the passanger side and the rocker and hood r all alittle diffrent color it could of been stock. But my dad had a white 95 f250 extended cab long bed and i believe that was solid 2 but i was little then

10. JDFireFord64

JDFireFord64 Junior Member

im new to the plowing forums but i kno that an f250 3/4 ton came with a twin traction beam dana 50 front end, not a dana 60 solid axle. despite that, maybe add-a-leafs or timbrens will help your truck handle that v, good luck.

11. KGRlandscapeing

well i guess ill be crawling back under that green truck its sitting at my couzins house

12. Mj's Lawncare

Ok i'll take a picture of the front so we know for sure. What difference does it make, maybe affects how much I'll have to modify the suspension?

13. Mj's Lawncare

14. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

pic not work

you need use photobucket to post pic here.

15. Mj's Lawncare

ok i just attached the pics hope you can see well enough

5.JPG

4.JPG

3.JPG

1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The plow is at least 10 years old (RT2) but does look to be in good condition. Wouldn't call $3500 a good deal though. For that amount of cash you can buy a 2 or 3 yeard old one.

Your truck has the standard issue Dana 50 TTB just like I first mentioned. If you want to run a plow just adding a set of Timbrens up front should be enough to support it if the springs are still in good condition.

17. Mj's Lawncare

ok what would you call a good deal, could I buy a three year old Boss V for $3500

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

$2000 tops. The old RT2's were great plows and it may be in good shape but it's already on the obsolete list.

Definitly..look around in the used equipment forum here.

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Which means the next truck upgrade will be expensive, no mounts/electrical for the newer trucks. Go with a new model blade:nod:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  20. Mj's Lawncare

So I could put a new blade on an older mount? What advantage is that? Im not planning on buying a new truck anytime soon the stroke is still young:)