1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss v on 1/2t ram

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by lumps, Sep 7, 2005.

1. lumps

lumps Senior Member

so, i bought a used boss 8'2" v-plow yesterday for my ram. it's a 97 1/2t, 4x4, 360. the nice thing is on that style ram they still used solid front axles, not the indy front ends they have now. however, it's still a big plow and a 1/2t truck. i do residential driveways, looking to take on about a dozen this year, in upstate ny (had 60" of snow in 24 hours last january). i went to the local boss dealer to buy a frame for my truck (this came of a gm 3/4), and they guy laughed at me when i told him what i had and what it was going on. my question is, will this last me for a season (i hope to get a new truck by next winter) without destroying my truck? i ran a 6 1/2 western on a ram 50 (basically mitsu 4-cyl pickup), doing commercial plowing, and it held up, i can't see that this combination is any worse... i hope! anyway, input appreciated!
    justin

2. wddodge

wddodge Member

You're putting too much weight on that front axle. The 1500 truck uses a Dana 44 versus the Dana 60 on the 2500. I would not reccomend it. If you do go ahead with the installation, the mounting bracket for the 2500 will fit your frame, it'll just hang down about 2" closer to the ground. You'll have to beef up the front springs or the front of the truck will go down as much as the plow raises. I have a Meyers 7.5' on my 1500. I put 200 lb heavier rated springs on the front and a set of Timbrens before I was happy with it.

Denny

3. 2004Z71CC

2004Z71CC Member

The 8'2" V's weight is 860;bs. and the 7'6" super duty trip edge that is rated for 1/2 tons weighs 862 lbs. Stiffer springs(off a 3/4 ton) will keep things higher.

4. bossplow

bossplow Junior Member

Though not recommended it will work just fine. I know of a couple of those exact combinations that have been running around for a couple years. Did you find a mount yet? I have a used RT-3 mount for your truck and could use the used chevy mount you have. What year chevy bracket is it?
    Is your truck a sport?

wolverinelawn@aol.com

5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Lumps -

I've got an undercarriage for a 94-2002 Dodge for a Boss plow that's never been used if you're interested.

I bought 2 new Boss plows last year, and traded my '02 this summer for an '05. The undercarriage has been mounted, but was never plowed with.

6. lumps

lumps Senior Member

actually, i need one of the RT2 style frames. i've got one i'm bidding on on eBay right now, so we'll see. and it came off a late 80's GM 3/4, not sure of the exact year.
    as far as the plow, thanks for the input. i'm gonna go ahead and try it as is, and see how far it drops. if it drops as far as everyone's saying, i'll look into new springs and/or timbrens.

7. lumps

lumps Senior Member

also, lwnmwrman, how much would you be looking to get for your mount? i tried sending you a pm, but it wouldn't work.

8. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Lumps,

I also have a RT2 mount from my friend's '98 Ram. It was used for one year then came off and has been sitting in my driveway for the past year or so. A little surface rust from sitting around.

My plan was to (next week or so) cut it up to make a mount to fit a '73-87 Chevy/GMC truck.... ie: do you have what I need?

If you can find out exactly what it was off of, maybe we can trade mounts and save us both a big headache!

I live in Ontario but have a postal box in Niagara Falls, NY.

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

About $200 or so.... give or take, as long as someone will pay for the shipping as well.

10. lumps

lumps Senior Member

Derek,
    I looked on Boss' website, and checked the different pictures fo undercarriages, this one matches LTA-2430: 88-00 Chevy/GMC.

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

As long as you don't exceed the FAWR, you'll be fine. We have an 8'2" on our 96 1/2 ton Dodge and it works great as a driveway truck. Put heavier springs on it and proper amount of ballast and you'll be fine. No more problems with front end components than our 3/4 or 1 ton Dodges.

12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Thats too bad, they use different frames. Would have been sweet if we each had what the other needed...

Thanks for checking though...

13. big flounder

big flounder Junior Member
    from ontario

Dont do what i did.

That plow is too heavy for that truck! No matter what any body says.I did that with the old boss RT2 a very heavy steel plow. I put diesel springs in and had alingment probs.Pitman to high and Ujoints and axles and lower ball joints. the whole front end has been rebuilt 2 times, once I had to replace every front end part that moved. I found the same with other guys and 1500s And its not from plowing its from driving around . Might have been ok to put it on and do 2-3 driveways but not 18 hrs a storm at 20 storms a season.

14. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Just out of curiosity flounder, did you use any ballast in your truck?

Because I have and have not had an inordinate amount of front end problems with an 8'2" Boss, 318 engine. As I stated before, it's been a great little truck for us. Gear ratio sucks, but other than that it's still a good truck. Has just under 150K on it. It's primarily a backup truck now, but when we first purchased it, it was out beginning to end, about 8 hours until '02. Same plow as well. Actually did some fairly large commercial with it, but loaded it up with about 500# of bagged salt and the back plow. Truck would go through anything.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2005
  15. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

lumps,

You'll be fine. Just keep an eye on your front end.

Dana 44's are a strong axle.

Keep skinny tires on it and use a good amount of balast.

V's keep a lot of the weight back further than a conventional plow.

16. big flounder

from ontario

dodge 1500 w/8.2

Always had about 400to 800 lbs of salt in the back. Its not the weight of the blade its the amount of snow a boss will push and the snow in the harness and grill and frame and slush all hung up. its the combo of possible factors.The set of train tracks or pot hole or rough winter roads. Other drivers safety is a factor.Call boss and ask them. I should have listened to them when they told me.Sombody on this list 3 years ago told me, and i wish i had listened.Its not worth selling the blade over but one should always be extra carefull.My insurance is $12000 a year with no claims and I may have jilted attitude. Happy plowing.

17. big flounder

from ontario

My bad

Didn't check where you live consider in N ontario my plows dont come off the trucks all winter unless we make a city parts run or something.

18. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Forget the timbrens on your Dodge. Go to your dealer and get new coil springs. On my truck with plow prep package it came with #38 & #39 the stiffer one is on the drivers side .On my other truck I installed #47 & #46 springs to carry a Boss RT2 V 8.2 plow the front drops 1 1/2 inch when i raise the plow. There easy to install too, you can do it your self with hand tools in about an hour or two.

Remember to carry some counter weight in the back too..

19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

You need counter weight......it is all about the weight....
    Q why are you paying so much for insurance?($12000:dizzy: )
    I pay $1000. for a million dollars of coverage for six mounts of insurance for my snow plowing & removal service and it covers all four trucks.

20. big flounder

from ontario

not my prob

Just felt i should warn the guy. for that matter I have the plow harness, mount and blade, and its the oldest plow we have so I was gonna make a skidseer blade out of it without the mount. On a side note the old 8.2 was so heavy it scraped awesome down to pave and would shace ice flat down on cottage roads.The old 8.2 had 2 lift cylenders and our 3 newer ones only have 1. I have good coverage for what we do insurance wise But once you cross the private buisness and home owner stage into hospitals, county,province and government contracts and public hwys, streets,sidewalks the insurance goes up, some contracts they want a percent off the top and my favorite condition "hold the queen her magesty harmless" Trust me I've got good coverage for the price but too much is invested to screw around .