1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss v occasionally sticks in the power-up mode

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Semi-Crazy, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Semi-Crazy

Semi-Crazy Member

have a power vxt, every once in awhile, with no predictability, when i use the auto raise mode, it will hang up there, rendering all other functions useless, this has happened while mounted to my '11 silverado as well as '15 silverdado. all truckside connections are clean and tight. any one ran into this and what was the fix?( after a minute or two it will finally time out and work fine)

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

If you turn the Controller off does it stop running?

3. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

ANY time pump keeps running after you let off the button is usually due to connection, even the inside truck/controller connection, unplug and replug it a few times incase it has dirt in it or something..

It could even be the controller itself, you have another to try or someone local to let you swap to test?

Any time we've had issues usually its almost 100% related to the truck/plow connection but that doesn't mean your plow itself side of the harness has a break or damage to it if its happening on both of your trucks. That plow end harness is almost $100 and more mechanical inclined folks can change them out easily.

4. Semi-Crazy

Semi-Crazy Member

turning it off and back on doesnt help. in fact it still stays lit up, even unplugging it( the controlled)doesn't get it to unstick

5. Semi-Crazy

Semi-Crazy Member

i dont have another controller to swap out but cant imagine its the issue as even if i unplug it it still stays running. controller connection is clean and dry, and truck/plow connection at bumper is also clean, its hard to replicate, i can go all day without it hanging, some times i cant got 5 minute, I'll be tearing cover off plow assy and digging into, though maybe there was a common issue with relays sticking or something thats been run into

6. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

If the plow motor is still running when you unhook the controler, I would have to say that your solenoid is sticking on.

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'd second this idea.

8. Semi-Crazy

Semi-Crazy Member

that would be the big guy under the hood or is there one inside the pllow housing?

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No,, the one under the hood

10. centralmtconst

centralmtconst Junior Member

Had the exact same thing happen. My dealer replaced the solenoid first. It didnt fix the problem. They replaced the controller next. Didnt fix it. They replaced the solenoid again and the problem was solved. The theory was that there was something wrong with the controller. I think it was just bad solenoids. They are cheap, and easy to get a spare.

11. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Heck of a way to do troubleshooting a problem. Random replacement of indiscriminate parts.

12. Doughboy12

Doughboy12 PlowSite Fanatic

Not the first time nor the last time a "knowledgeable dealer" will play that game.

13. Semi-Crazy

Semi-Crazy Member

I replaced the solenoid, now just waiting for plow able snow to test it out, can only raise and lower it so many time in the shop.

14. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

That will be the solution what you replaced. Carry a extra one or if your in nb ask me for my spare if it's snowing. I have one in most of my trucks.