1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V leaking

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by ABsnow, Jan 29, 2010.

1. ABsnow

ABsnow Member

I have a 3 year old Boss V 8'2". Just went out to start my truck and found a puddle of fluid under my plow. Looks like its coming from the front of the "box". I haven't gotten the pleasure to dive in to that part of the plow yet and am looking for some advice before I start. Used the plow yesterday morning cleaning up some drifts, took it off yesterday afternoon and notice the leak this morning. What should I expect? Any tips on taking the thing apart? Did I mention its 4 degrees outside and no heated garage? Calling for snow Tuesday so I need to get it taken care of fairly quick. Thanks for any help!

2. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Hmmm...mine was doing that and is about the same age. Everytime I unhitched and let the plow tower lean out under its own weight it would burp a good amount of fluid out of the breather cap and leak onto the ground. It came from inside the box and left about a 16" wide puddle every time. I was scratching my head for a while and getting tired of refilling the reservoir. The fix for me was to "power down" the tower. In other words, keep the switch on until the tower bottoms out, this prevents whatever it was that caused my issue.

3. ABsnow

ABsnow Member

I do power the tower down.

4. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

When I bought my 9'2" my dealer told me to power down the tower or it would lose fluid

5. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Well that's not so good then. I think if you go a head and remove the thumbscrews and take a look inside you'll hopefully only find a loose hose.

6. ABsnow

ABsnow Member

Took cover off, found it was coming from vent cap. Cleaned fluid up, raised and lowered several times, moved wings, no more fluid came out. I called the local dealer, they said could have been overfilled. I changed fluid back in October to Manufacturer's specs and had no problem until now. Dealer says even though spec says 2 quarts its actually slightly less and more than likely is just an overfill issue and is possible its just releasing excess now. So I'm going to keep an eye on it. Headed to car wash to give her a bath and keep her happy.

7. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

When you changed it did you drain the lines and cyl? That could cause your overage.

8. ABsnow

ABsnow Member

Only drained pump when changed last just like the dealer told me. They said 2 quarts for just the pump and 3 if I did cylinders. Did not empty anything other than fluid from drain plug. But if this is just an overfill issue why did it take this long to overflow?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Are you stating that you simply poured two full qts in it then never checked the level afterward?

10. ABsnow

ABsnow Member

I poured two full quarts in which made the fluid visible in the fill tube, which is what I read its how it should be. I operated the plow then rechecked the level, fluid was still visible in fill tube but not by much. But this was back in October, I would think it would have overflowed sooner than now.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Don't get excited about it then, just run it. Sometimes after a fluid change they'll burp a little excess fluid out until they find the level their happy with. And it's not always the level that's deemed correct as per the manufacture.

12. kmzlawncare

kmzlawncare Junior Member

I had mine do that today and I took it to my dealer and he said it was cause it was over full but I have not put fluid in it since it was new a year ago so they let some fluid out and they said it was ok.. I went home and took it off my truck and there it was another pool of oil!

13. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Mine does the same thing. The fluid is supposed to be at the bottom of the filler tube. If its over that it will be coming out the breather valve on the cap. If your level is good then a o ring might be bad, I had that happen too, dont know whick one though, it was under warranty. It was a quick fix though. Another thing ive noticed if hit a pile hard you still might have a little bit come out, not much though.

14. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The fill elbows are a little misleading making a slight overfill easy to do and tough to identify. There's a range of about a half inch on the level and it will still appear perfect when in fact it's a little overfull. But it will find it's level on it's own by purging any excess fluid out the internal vent and doesn't cause any major issues. This can and will even happen after several uses where it previously worked fine. And that's generally due to Smart Hitch usage and how much fluid is in the top half of the lift cylinder when you operate it (when it's a little overfull).

15. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

I had the same scare on a brand new plow, tore into the box found it was overflowing, didnt know about the POWER DOWN when unhooking the boom. Just assumed they overfilled it, which was the case as well. Cleaned it up until it stopped leaking and figured it was happy there.

Funny story i filled up my fluid with the wings forward... that turned into a real nice mess when i brought back the wings lol seems like i have to learn everything the hard way, i didnt get any tips from the dealer about any of this stuff. Can't avoid my ignorance on the wings forward though cause its on a label explaining how to put fluid in and check the level on the side of the boom... just glad it didnt blow off the cap completely had about 2+ extra quarts in there, bet there isnt any air in the system though :D

16. White Knight

White Knight Member

If the problem persists and all else has been checked the return tube in the reservoir is a press fit with an o-ring if this falls off the fluid can be pushed out through the filler cap.

17. Langtlnd

Langtlnd Junior Member

I have been having same problems. I power down the tower, fixed wiring to smart hitch replaced both diodes, replaced cap and I still am blowing fluid out of vent cap. I lost count of how many quarts I have gone through. I don't really want to have to bring pump in if I don't have to.

18. kmzlawncare

kmzlawncare Junior Member

When you take it off your truck push the toggle switch on your plow down until your lights are all the way forward (when your plow is off the truck ) if you let it go down by itself it will push some fluid out.

19. Langtlnd

Langtlnd Junior Member

It doesnt come out when sitting it comes out of the cap when plowing, to the point where there I will out close to two full quarts in.

20. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

If you have fluid really continously coming out of the vent cap - does the plow motor/pump ever growl or stop working or do you just keep adding fluid?