1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V issue, need help

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by rb8484, Oct 22, 2009.

1. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Hey guys. I am new to the boss blades and am having an issue with the right wing not extending out. All other functions of the plow work fine, but when you try to extend the right wing, it just clicks. I thought it was a bad connection in the harness, but i wiggle it and still nothing. Any thoughts???

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What clicks? The underhood solenoid?

So it's not running the pump for the R wing extend function?

3. bltp203

bltp203 Senior Member

My VX-T did the same thing once.....solenoid just clicked when I tried to move the right wing, nothing else. I got out and manually tried to move the wing...started working after that.

4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like you needed a little grease in the center pin. Grease it up and move it back and forth by hand a few times to work the grease in.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

What kind of grease do you guys use on the Boss hinge? Is there a needle you use, or do you screw in a zerk fitting?

6. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

good luck finding the right needle... i found one at a local car quest parts store and spending a lot of time trying to find the right one. hope you can find faster than i did!

7. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

83278 is the part number for the Lincoln needle adapter that would go onto your grease gun.
    You can order them thru any quality automotive parts house.
    Use a water resistance grease for longer life.
    :rolleyes: John...

8. John its great to see you on here more often now. Your the best. I still need to get me aframe done if you have time if not I will buy a new one.

9. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Im heading out to the garage to work on it, and will report back with my findings or more questions!! Thanks for the help so far!

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You need to get the answer to B&Bs question. That was my first thought, but he posted it first. And he's more smarterer than I.

11. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

I check it out. The pump is running when you hit the button for the right wing.

12. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

You posted that just as I posted the answer!! I didnt want to answer the question without knowing for sure if the pump was running or not.

13. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

I checked all the wires going to the valves and they all seem to have good contact. I dont think it is a hing problem as a few weeks ago I hooked up the plow and it worked good and the next day I went to angle the right wing out, it didnt work, I keep trying and I got it to work, it has been sitting inside all this time and went to start the truck up again and was going to do a fluid change and still nothing, I need to figure this out!!!

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Is the solenoid for the right wing working? Doesn't sound like it to me. Especially if the pump is running.

15. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Do you happen to know which one is for the right wing?? Can you test them?

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Absolutely, you can test them for magnetism. The right wing extend coil/valve will be the one on the very bottom of the manifold furthermost to the passenger side. Will be the only one with a solid red wire. Check it will a wrench or screwdriver for magnetism while a helper presses the R extend button. If there's no mag then test the red wire for 12V under the same conditions.

17. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Thanks! I already tested for magnetism on the 3 upper ones and they all magnatize, but didnt realize there was 3 more under the manifold. Like I said, I am new to boss and the V's. I tested the red wire and i have no power there, so must be I have a short??

18. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Do you know what pin is the red one on the truck side so I can test it there?? My guess is the middle row, second one in as you are looking at the truck on the female side

19. rb8484

rb8484 Senior Member

Well, I did more testing with the light tester, found that there is power on the back side of the truck side wire harness, but nothing on the pins. Guess I need to get a new truck side harness. Thanks for everyones help!!! :drinkup:

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Try cleaning the pins first before just replacing the harness. No point in replacing the entire harness when it may simply need a little cleaning.