1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V Help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ford6.9, Dec 17, 2007.

1. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Alright, so my issue is which i have heard on here before but couldnt find for some reason is as i try to stack snow or heck even push snow in V or straight blade position my my wings are folding back. I know that i have to increase the pressure release but not sure how to do it. Thanks in advance ( Oh and please use as much detail as possible-Picutres couldnt hurt either)
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

3. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

thanks but thats what i found and took it too my boss dealer, they dont want to make it any stiffer, but i can barley plow because my wings keep folding back, and i cant stack snow.
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Many of the dealers won't adjust the wing relief's... they assume that if it's folding the wings back, your abusing it... but I know for a fact that they will fold even when they're not being "abused"....

How old is this plow?

Did they both just start doing this one day or did they slowly get easier to fold over time?

Is it in fact both wings that your having trouble with, or mostly just one?
  5. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What kind of snow? Wet or fluffy it will make a difference .If you try and go straight on they will fold. Go in at a angle in scoop that should work. Also if it's wet start lifting a little before the pile ,that helps also.
  6. ford6.9

ford6.9 Senior Member

Its both wings. Plow is new about 40 hours on it. first plowing it didnt do it unless i had it full of snow(snow was fluffy) Second snow was hard pack ice and would do it just trying to stright blade. but even on the first storm it would fold back as trying to stack
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It shouldn't push the wings back that easy....

Since this is a brand new plow, I'd go back to the dealer and either demand they adjust the wing relief's or replace them all together. No ifs ands or buts about it...

The dealers don't like to touch the relief valve settings on a plow under warranty.. if they set them too high and the wings were folding do to it actually being abused, it tends to tear stuff up... and they don't want to make extra warranty work for themselves or have to deal with Boss on the fact that they may have caused the work for themselves....
  8. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

folding under pressure

the wing pressure relief valve's are #hyd1639 the are supposed to be set at 2800 psi from the factory ,the only thing i can think of is that their is contamination stuck on the ball check's if they cant check what the valve's are breaking at make them replace them .i had to check the relief vale setting on a meyer ,had to install a hydraulic Gage on a cylinder port in line and pull the blade back with a com-along and look at what pressure it relived at .you can set the valve's in with a Allen head socket adjustment on the end of the valve there are two of them one for each wing .