1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V - Center Snow Catcher (hoof) Problems

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by edrenckh, Feb 3, 2004.

1. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

I have been having a bad time with my center snow catcher. The rubber part. When I plow, the bolt breaks or bends. Or the catcher breaks off.

I spoke with Boss, they are trying to come up with a better solution, but it will be a while and may not be a retro-fit.

They have tried a 3/4" bolt, but that has problems. The original is a 5/8. I have bent one and snapped one. Went through two snow catchers so far, and I have 3/4" of steel worn. Maybe 75 hours of light plowing.

Anyone else have the problems? Any after market solutions? Any inventors out there?

Best bet, stay away from Boss V for now.
  2. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

shoe problems

Hey Edrenckh
    I remember reading posts last winter about this same problem. Some guys went as far as removing rubber center shoe and going with the old style snow catcher kit that gets welded to the cutting edge. Do a search their is plenty of info!
  3. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

There are urethane center snow catchers for the boss plows. I need to get one because i ripped mine off last night. :D :D
  4. edrenckh

edrenckh Member

Mine was a urethane one I tore off. It was ~3/4" too long. My blades were worn just a bit.

Sorry system that Boss has anyway.
  5. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

Be glad you don't have what I have.

A Rapid Tach II has NOTHING between the cutting edges! You leave a trail of snow in all but the scoop positions!

I'd LOVE to have a center SHOE/HOOF etc.

I would think the only time it comes in HARMS way would be in the V position, where IT (the hoof) is leading the way and prone to impact before ANYTHING metal on the plow.

Sure wish I had room for one!

6. 03GMC

03GMC Junior Member
    from Canada

I would check the angle the plow is to the ground with your truck on level ground. If your breaking the bolt off that is holding a rubber shoe on ,i think you have to look at the angle the plow is or that your cutting edge is to worn?

I could see ripping the shoe off but breaking the bolt you must be hitting something. The shoe would rip off before you would break a 5/8 bolt off:confused:
    I have Boss plow also and the shoe wearing down is an issue, but have never ripped it off or broke bolt
    Just my two cents:drinkup:
  7. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC Senior Member

i find im replacing mine at a rate of about 2 a seaon....what i ussually will do is just install them as ussual then i break out the saws-all and trim off the extra.....i try to leave a little bit so tthat it can wear naturally to the exact hieght of the blade.

It is deffinatly the week link on the plow, but when you think about it there is really no other solution...any harder material and you would just break it right off if you hit something....and the risk of damaging the plow frame or truck frame if something where to hit it with enough force.
  8. 03GMC

03GMC Junior Member
    from Canada

T L S ... Looks like you could use some grease in that center pin
  9. Patriot

Patriot Junior Member

I would also check the angle of the plow. I assume this happens in the V position. If you lower the plow to the ground in that position to the ground does the center section hit the ground before the ends? If so the mounting height may be too high. Remember too that the manufacturers design fatigue points into their plows so that cheap replaceable parts on the plow break before your truck does.
  10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I grease it once a year with a rubber nippled gun until it squeezes out between the hinges. Does it "look" like it needs to be greased? I ask, because from this picture you cant see inside at the pin, which I'm fairly certain, is adequately lubricated.

Believe me, it needs a lot more done to it before it needs to be greased!

Fluid change
    New Power supply plug

She's really starting to loose paint in odd areas. The back of the plow has chunks coming off in real odd places.
  11. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

Some one posted that paint can come off due to stress on he plow. The tweaking of the plow causes the paint to peel off. :D :D
  12. 03GMC

03GMC Junior Member
    from Canada

You grease it once a year?

So when you plow.. the snow being pushed into the little spaces in the center pin would not force the grease out or thaw and water,dirt, etc run down the center pin decreasing the grease?

I would grease it more often.
  13. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

I have had nothing but problems with the center hoof design on my Boss 8'2". I've tried the urethane and it stayed on for about 2 storms. I've gone through 4 rubber and 1 Urethane hoofs (snow catcher) in 3 years. The last one caught a curb as I was backing away from the pile and it broke the front bolt and tore off at the back bolt. I love everything else about this plow, but without this hoof the plow leaves a trail that I have to chase and it wastes alot of time, especially when back dragging.
  14. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I have 3 Boss 8-2 V's. Have not had a problem with the catcher/center boot for three years until now. I have lost 2 of them in the last storm. One is a blade that was purchased in late October, just a few months ago. Fortunately, I have not broken or bent any bolts. I did notice that the replacement kit now comes with grade 8 bolts. The original ones were only grade 5. I have gone back to the remaining blade that has not lost the boot and replaced the bolts with grade 8's. I did try the u edge and lost the u catcher/boot after about 20 driveways. I also noticed that on one blade the boot bolts had worked themselves loose. I suspect that the two I lost came loose and did not break.
  15. Randy Scott

Randy Scott Senior Member

I am so completely pizzed off and sick and tired of my BOSS V because of the center shoe issue. I've gone through rubber shoes, the urethane shoes, and my own shoes from kickin' the POS plow. What I have is a 4' 1" plow because of their crap design. I have checked, double checked, and then checked again the proper height of the plow and the carriage. It's correct. I talked to BOSS a month ago and they, as stated before, are "working on it". At 3 in the morning after plowing for 20 hours, I want to rip someones fricken' head off over this piece of junk with the strip it continously leaves down the middle. It's pathetic. I've dealt with this for 3 years and am an idiot for doing so. I would not, will not, and will go out of my way, to make sure no one else spends money with these people. I don't do any gravel drives, our properties have no terrible edges or manhole covers. There is no excuse for this except it's a joke of a design.

If someone has a solution for this turd, please enlighten me, because were getting 4 to 6 inches tonight and I'm already getting pizzed off just thinking about it. Now I know why BOSS backed out of being on this forum, they have a junk plow and know it. That's the sick part about it, everything else about the plow is awesome, except the major part, clearing snow efficiently and cleanly. So that pretty much negates anything else good the plow has. We are getting a new truck in another week or so and they better come up with something quick if they want my 4 grand.

Sincerely, pizzed off BOSS owner!
  16. jsheedy75

jsheedy75 Member
    from CT

would there be any way to make the center flap from a fishe v-plow work? I know that they are a one piece rubber design.
  17. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

check this catcher!

Attached Files:

18. Nailit1954

Nailit1954 Senior Member
    from ma.

Oh My!
    Having trouble with the bytes!:dizzy:
  19. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I have been plowing with a 9'2" Boss poly V for about 3 winters now. I only had the shoe come off the first winter when the pickup was plowing a really rough concrete parking lot (seams sticking up about 2") I figured that it was the maroon that I hired behind the wheel. Since then my wife has been running the pickup and she has had no problems at all. That account gets charged extra just because of the concrete condition. I figure I had better get ahead because I'm affraid that it will cost me some $$$ someday. I have had absolutly NO problems with my Boss and would buy another one in a second (if I could afford it). I do carry an extra set of blades and an extra center shoe just in case. My nearest Boss dealer is about 100 miles away on the other side of the Rockys.
  20. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

I'm wondering.... I did not loose a center (for 3 winters) catcher/boot until this year. This fall I had a conversation with Boss Tech Support regarding the 3 metal shoes. After the conversation I made the decision to remove the 3 metal show completely. I'm wondering if those of you that are having a problem have also removed the metal shoes?