1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Boss V Blades Moves independly?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Farmerjohn, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Farmerjohn

Farmerjohn Member

Im torn between a 8'2 Boss power VXT and a Western Mvp, I seen on the Western you can move the wings indepadently, Can the Boss also do this?
    Thanks

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

3. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Yes you can. Or both at the sametime.

4. Farmerjohn

Farmerjohn Member

Thanks now i really dont know which to get

5. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Don't know if it will help, but I have always been a Western guy and since I plowed with and now own my first Boss, well just go get one and learn for yourself!:waving:

6. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Get the Boss

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Go Boss. And you can even move them back independently too!

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That's Fisher, he is talking Western vs Boss.:confused:

10. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

When it comes to the actual controller OP, the Boss wins hands down. I was in the same position you were a couple of months ago, and now I am going with a 9'2" Boss Poly V-XT. The way the controller works is you have your Raise and Lower in the center, and a separate button for each of the wing movements around that center up-down. One button controls one movement of a wing. WIth the Western, you only have two buttons that allow you to move the wings. If you want to go move the wing in or out, you have to press the button twice, as the same button controls both functions. Additionally, you have to use those wretched controls to get the wings straight before you can use the straight blade function.

Use this link to see what I mean. http://www.westernplows.com/mvpplus.asp#

Click on the CabCommand control and you will see what I mean.

Here is one for the Boss.

http://www.bossplow.com/products/smarttouch2

Now if you notice, there is no one button to either V the blade or to put the wings into scoop. The genius of the design is that you press both buttons up top for scoop or both at the bottom for V. Likewise, it is the same for angling, which can be done from any position V or Scoop, as it automatically knows where you are and adjusts the appropriate wing for the position you want. It really is "Smart Touch."

Another cool thing is to raise the plow up fully or to put it fully down into float, all you need to do is double click the raise or lower button and it automatically does it fully for you. Pretty neat I think. As far as I am concerned, the Western controller is an inherently flawed design. Somebody should really be beat over the head for that one. Only thing I do like about it is how compact and comfy it is, compared to the Boss which is a bit bulkier.

The Boss builds a superior V plow period. Don't even get me started on the direct lift, weight of the plows themselves, center hinge pin, or any of that crap.

11. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

Same thing. Same controller, same Douglas Dynamics BS.

12. grandview

Do tell.;)

13. Farmerjohn

Farmerjohn Member

Maybe you should give me a showing of a boss grandview, Im only a little over an hour away

14. grandview

They are ready year round,never know when it will snow!

15. Farmerjohn

Farmerjohn Member

Will soon be the season, but dont want to rush it, not till I get the new plow at least.

16. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I own 1 of each. The only reason I would pick a Boss over a Western is direct lift over chain lift. The plow doesn't bounce when you drive from site to site. I only use joysticks and the Western is as easy to use as the Boss.

17. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i have ran a boss v and wetern, the wetern only hase the trip edge going for it. the boss has direct lift, faster then all hell and its simply the boss!

18. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Excellent post. I agree with this 100%. I demoed both the VXT and the MVP last year before buying either and I chose The Boss. It wasn't even close. The Western felt like it was always dragging compared to the Boss, the speed difference is amazing, and the Smart Touch Controller was much easier to use.

19. Farmerjohn

Farmerjohn Member

How well does the trip fuction work in the scoop mode?

20. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Are you saying to move the wings on the Boss plow from side to side that you have to push 2 buttons. In other words if your plow is straight and you want to angle it all the way left that you have to move the left wing in and the right wing out with 2 different controls.

I have a Boss V but it is old and had the joystick.
    I also have a Western MVP with the joystick and never had a problem.

To line the wings up on the Western just put 1 wing all the way in and the other out and your finished. What's so hard about that. You don't have to line them up in the middle.

I will admit the hydraulics on the MVP are very fast and the direct lift is great for driving down the road.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010