1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss v blade leak

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by yardguy28, Dec 8, 2013.

1. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

I have an appointment with my dealer if I can't get it fixed by thurs but my plow leaks from the reservoir plug on the hydraulic fluid tank. the plug that is also what is believed to be the regulator that adjusts the pressure for the plow.

I removed it and thread taped it and added the lost fluid. left attached to my truck it didn't leak. as soon as I removed it from the truck when I came back it's leaking again.

the only thing I plan on checking today is if it's coming from the relief valve on top in case I over filled it.

assuming it's still coming from the original spot does anyone have any ideas???

2. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

The plug on the hydraulic tank is not the pressure adjustment for the plow. That is on the back of the valve body and can be seen without removing the front cover. Is what you have leaking on the bottom of the round metal can part next to the motor? Do you have a 90 deg elbow coming out of the tank? if so this should be filled to the bottom of the threads. Plow down, wings back.
    http://www.bossplow.com/support/part-search/drawing/6624#drawing=6799

3. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

That plug you are talking about is it on the bottom of the reservoir? If so thats just the drain bung and has nothing to do with the pressure. When u took the plow off the truck and it leaked are u sure it came from the plug? It sounds like you over filled the reservoir and when u took the plow off the truck and the light tower relaxed and came to rest on the blade it pushed out the extra fluid.

Thats IF I understand what you are saying. The first time it happened to me I thought I had a major problem

4. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

what I have is a threaded "plug" that contains a spring and something inside the spring and then what I think is a jam nut coming directly from the metal tank next to the motor.....

maybe you would be willing to help me over the phone? I can pm you my number or I can call you.

5. yardguy28

yardguy28 Senior Member

with the help of your drawing the original leak was from the relief valve at the bottom of the tank screwed into the square block between the 2 "cans".

I just got in from checking things out and the leak this time came from the top relief valve which doesn't bother me cause that just means I over filled it. but I'm still concerned about the original spot.

I found the kit online to replace it and there is 1 part I didn't see when I had it apart yesterday. so I'm concerned that is why is may have leaked in the first place and I'm concerned did I tighten it enough to begin with when putting it back together yesterday. when I tightened it yesterday I was thinking it was a pressure regulator like the dealer thought.