1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss v backdragging

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by brianbrich1, Sep 3, 2011.

1. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

How well do the v's back drag

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

They do ok if you have the optional locking cylinders. Ok does not mean real good.......

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I don't use smartlocks and I don't have a problem back dragging.

4. JDiepstra

The plow never folds forward on you?

5. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have 1 with smartlocks and 1 without. I would never buy one without them again.

The one's with smartlocks back drag well IMO.

6. grandview

I don't back drag much and few places I do it doesn't mater if it folds forward.

7. Puddle of Oil

Puddle of Oil Member

It's ok, if you have packed snow the blade will just float over it.

8. JDiepstra

Ok so no offense intended but your original answer should not be given much consideration from someone who is concerned with doing a good job while back dragging.

If the snow is deep, its going to require multiple passes. Several in some cases. Then the last inch will be packed down good so you will have to plow it forward as far as possible to scrape it off the pavement and then lift the plow over the pile, pull forward over it, and drag it back out.

9. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

in my opinion
    since I do need to backdrag and I do it it often, no the V blade does not backdrag well.

I have no idea what this opinion is worth
    "I don't use smartlocks and I don't have a problem back dragging"...

"I don't back drag much and few places I do it doesn't mater if it folds forward"

I thought better of you Grandview

10. grandview

More info on my back dragging. When I back drag I come in at a slight angle.So only one wing folds out a little and then gives you a straight blade look to it. So the one side is fully extended and you just back drag the snow. It does scrap it very well. Everything takes practice.Maybe I'll make of video this year of it.

11. brianbrich1

brianbrich1 PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the response. Iam torn on what plow to mount on my personal new truck. all my others are straights or machines and thats all ive plowed with for 15 + yrs. I do have places where alot of backdragging may be required and do not want a crappy job. plowmeister response was the one i figured i would hear.

12. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

You did not ask how we like the V plow I plow resis a lot of them and I have to backdrag most of them

I plowed for 22 years with a strait blade (Fisher 7 1/2 HD) I got the V blade because everthing thing I read said the V blade saves time.

I got the Boss V 3 years ago,... I will not buy a strait blade again I will only buy V blades

13. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

Try the backdrag edges from backdragsnow.com I used them on my straight blade and they really help. Granted, as others have said, if the snow is really packed, ANY blade is going to ride up over it, but the back drag edge helps the plow "bite" in a little better, but nothing is perfect.

14. AdvancedOutdoor

AdvancedOutdoor Junior Member

When using backdrag blades, do you install them to touch or leave them a half inch or inch above the ground?

15. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

The one that I used had all the holes elongated so if you were installing it with an edge that has some wear on it, you can line them up evenly. You would want it to be level with the main cutting edge of the plow

16. AdvancedOutdoor

AdvancedOutdoor Junior Member

Thanks, I figured so. I may try a set out this year.

17. grandview

Buddy of mine has a backdrag blade on his straight plow. It a swing type,so when going forward it flops back and when backdrging if locks forward and scraps clean ,it is a little bigger then the cutting edge

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  18. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I built a swing one out of my old worn cutting edge.... ( had to do something with it.)
    It works really well. Acts as a plow ski going forward and kicks the plow up and engages perfectly against the back of the plow going backwards. I was quite proud of it at the time.