1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

boss v and truck leaving ruts

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by gc3, Dec 10, 2009.

1. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I got a steel vxt and a 3/4 ton gmc with 500 lbs in back for ballast. Our first snow was the other day and the ground wasn't frozen yet. So when I get to the grass I raised the blade a little and pushed the snow out 60 feet. When I was getting done with the drive I noticed I was leaving tire ruts in the grass towards the pile, I'm assuming this was from the ground not being frozen yet. If you have to push the snow into the grass a ways how do you veterans deal with not leaving ruts? Does straight vs scoop position pushing over the grass to the pile make a difference with less friction I wonder. When you guys are entering the grass off a driveway are you guys in the straight or scoop position while pushing towards the pile thats out in the grass? Thanks:gunsfiring:
  2. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I know this is going to sound crazy! .................... (please dont judge :/)

........ but.........

We dont drive on the grass
  3. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Doesn't sound crazy at all. Believe me If I didn't have to push the snow into the yard at all I wouldn't but I have no choice
  4. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

If you drive as fast as possible, you will skim over the surface instead of leaving ruts. Haven't tried this, but it seems like it would work.......In all seriousness I bet the ruts are more from the weight of the truck than the force it takes to push the pile, and there is nothing you can do to prevent it from happening. If you have the option, push only the driveway, wait for it to get really cold one night then push it back on the lawn in a few days or weeks.
  5. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Yea its a long driveway so if I pushed the snow to the edge for a few days I'd block their garage. They might like it better than ruts in their yard. Depending on the pile I'd probably have a hell of a time trying to bust throught it to get it back out there ha ha
  6. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

I would just explain the situation to the customer and they can add it to their spring yard work list 'fix ruts'.
  7. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

gc3 try and put the blade in straight position and raise it a few inch's and then push it back. This might leave you with a "base" to drive on which could help stay off the grass. Also good one Clapper!
  8. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

:dizzy:For the first few pushes out to the yard I was in the straight position and I did raise it up a few inches. A guy I know said every time he goes to the pile he's in the scoop position. So after awhile I was pushing the snow out out like that with it raised alittle 60 feet or so. After one run out and back I could see I sunk alittle. Maybe if the grounds not frozen I should push it out in the straight for awhile like you said and not use the scoop. I dont know with the wings forward the weights farther out instead of keeping it closer and straight if that would help or not. Trial and error will only tell.
  9. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Yeah I would try and keep it straight to leave some snow on the ground... with that said you really shouldn't worry about any longer, because the ground is now frozen and safe to drive on! Still lift the blade a bit to ease the lawn damage.
  10. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

While I appreciate the need to move the snow some distance off the driveway, common sense should guide you to waiting til there is frost in the ground. The ground here in NH is saturated and soft, so we leave the snow to a point where the front wheels are just at the edge of the pavement. Today is single numbers to low teens and after this, on the next storm, the piles can be pushed back to make room. Just waiting for that moment can save a great deal of resentment on the part of the client, and make the anxiety level of the operators less also.
  11. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Yea I thought there was some frost but not enough. The other issue I had was we recieved like ten inches of snow and it was wet. I had to move it. Maybe leaving it a little off the drive with the tires not on the grass like you said was a option but if the temps stayed lower it would have all frozen and I never would have been able to move it once the ground was better frozen. I thought about maybe pushing it all to the street then windrowing it up into the yard if it happens again. Anyone got any idea how deep the frost should be before driving on the grass?